Press upgrade dilemma 338lm

Since you are a lee fan get the universal neck expander tool put a small flare till it holds the bullet for you, problem solved. The rock chucker can load fifty cal. so it's all you need.

If you screw out the regular spot where u put the dies it will take 1 inch dies. The neck expander works best for boattails but it can help with other problems as well. I use the approach because you won't have to chamfer brass anymore it smooths out any rough edges when you flare the case mouth.

FYI I have a Redding Ultra Mag and load 416 Rigby with 420 grain bullets and don't have to go through any type of tilting to seat the bullets. The linkage does not get in the way and gives a "NO FLEX" of the press body on the most extreme re-sizing and case forming operations. Expensive but worth it if you load extra length rounds.

I have been interested in this press for a while. The RCBS Summit
https://www.rcbs.com/presses/single-stage/summit-single-stage-reloading-press/16-9290.html
A friend has one and it seems like a good solid press. It brings the die to the case instead of the case to the die.
It is also of interest to me because I can convert it to a arbor type press to be able to seat bullets using my Wilson chamber type bullet seating die.
Currently I have a Dillon 550, a RCBS Rock Chucker and a RCBS Partner I use as a protable press for quick stuff at the range. I can take my arbor press that I can take to the range for adjusting seating depth. I also have an old Lyman Crusher sitting on the shelf somewhere.

Wide Glide

There is another option. RCBS makes a series of MatchMaster Competition Die sets which are not "oversize'. The competition bullet seating die has a window that allows you to place the bullet from the side of the die as opposed to beneath the die on top of the brass. You might be able to keep your press and only be out the price of the new dies. You can pick neck bushing sizer or full length /neck bushing sizer with the seater dies.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SS5JQ1R/?tag=lrhmag19-20

If you want to load 338LM or 300/7 RUM or the like, forget about the coax. It's been a while, but if my memory serves, this is what I encountered:
  1. The Large clamps do not accommodate .532 case heads nicely.
  2. Long cases like the Lapua, if you have a decapping pin in a sizing die, will require you to tilt the case into the press.
I run a CoAx, LnL (which I use only for pistol and AR15 calibers (6.5G, 6.8SPC, 204 Rug, 223...), Lee Classic Cast and RCBS Rock Chucker IV. For the big magnums, the Classic cast is far and away my favorite. For 30-06 cartridges or smaller, I much prefer the CoAx.

I've loaded 1000's of 300 win mag and 338 lapua rounds on my rockchucker supreme. It works well but I've only used Redding, Hornady and RCBS dies in it. I also have the RCBS summit. I'll use it to seat bullets but for working big 338 Lapua brass I use the RCBS supreme. I have a few dies that won't work in the Summit but they all work in the supreme. I've been tempted to get the Forester because it has great reviews but when it comes to reloading equipment I've found it is too easy to spend a bunch of money on stuff I don't really need.

Any thoughts on an Arbor press and Wilson inline seating die ? If seating is the issue it will solve the run out problem that and a mandrel die to set neck tension

I have some seriously horrible luck. The Rock chucker Supreme came today what was literally the worst job of packing I have ever seen. They literally just slapped a shipping label on the factory box that is made to sit on a display shelf in the store so it showed up beat the **** and the primer catching system already broken in half. thanks scheels. Chances are they won't do anything unless I return the whole package so I will probably just end up spending the 30 bucks on one of the aftermarket primer catching systems for it

20200731_103845.jpg
20200731_103845.jpg
20200731_103903.jpg
20200731_104036.jpg
20200731_104101.jpg
20200731_104132.jpg

and of course they didn't include any sort of packing slip which I believe is required to claim the rebate from RCBS

Send these photos on to RCBS and I'm sure they will make this right. Although I prefer the Lee CC there is no customer service better than RCBS.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.