Press lube?

I've been using synthetic grease in very small amounts at fitting. I read and like the idea of the dry teflon lubricant due to its lack of sticky grease on the ram. Will try this soon.....

I use a lithium grease on the hinge pins, but have started using a spray on dry Teflon lubricant on the ram. It sprays on wet and I work the handle to spread around then let dry. Will not collect dust like other lubes. Using this for a couple years now and don't see any reason to change.
Like a Tri-Flow?

The ram bores on my presses are drilled and tapped for grease zerks, with a small grease pocket cut into the bore. The linkage bores have a hole drilled for a bullnose grease tip. I use mobil XHP MINE 100. A thin grease with moly. Initial pressurization of the ram bore will lock the ram but as the grease flows it will release and move smoothly.

I use the same oil that I use on my firearms. Mobil One Synthetic, High Mileage. Inexpensive to use and works well. A little goes a long way. I purchased some needle tip oil bottles from eBay and they work great for applying to pretty much anything that requires oiling.

Last edited:
Not sure about Tri Flow. I believe what I have is a PB Blaster branded product. Probably any PTFE spray. I bought mine close to 10 years ago for lube in my archery release.

I use a lithium grease on the hinge pins, but have started using a spray on dry Teflon lubricant on the ram. It sprays on wet and I work the handle to spread around then let dry. Will not collect dust like other lubes. Using this for a couple years now and don't see any reason to change.
I also use spray lube but it is a Moly spray lube

I read (somewhere) not to use any lube containing Teflon such as CLP, Tri-Flow, or Break-free. The minute amounts of Teflon accumulate, and can cause clearance problems with the ram.

Once in a while I wipe the press ram shaft with a Kleenex with or without a shot of Ronsonol. To lube it I just wipe a SMALL dab of resizing wax on it. GTG after that. I mostly try to avoid a buildup of spent primer grit which can be abrasive.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.