Prepping 338 Lapua Brass

SHRTSHTR

This is my first time prepping 200 pcs. of 338 Lapua Brass. I have uniformed all primer pockets, deburred inside case primer hole, Uniformed all case neck I.D's, trimmed all cases to 2.715 with my Giraurd case trimmer and weight sorted all brass.

I have run into a couple issues and would like to get some advise about what to do next. The first thing I have found is .oo1 max neck wall thickness variance on this new brass. I used a Holland Ball Mic and a Redding Case Neck Gauge. My question is, should I neck turn? I am really trying to do everthing right but not sure if .001 is enough to worry about. I might add that I do have a new K&M neck turning tool with dial indicator.

2nd, I am getting up to .002 eccentricity from the case body to the neck. This is before I have run it through any dies (Virgin Brass) I am checking these cases on a Redding Concentricity Gauge. My question is: Will my Redding "S" type dies staighten these necks? I have not tried using the dies yet, fearing I might screw up a bunch brass. Suggestions Please?

I might add that the rifle I will be using these in is a custom build from Joe Starns in Montana. Thanks in advance.

Ray

I would not worry about neck turning if you only have less than .001 variance.
Broz rifle was built by Joe. and if you find one of his posts, his rifle shoots light out, and I don't think he is turning brass. And yes the " S " bushing die will straighten out the eccentricity. Load them and go shoot with confidence.

And yes the " S " bushing die will straighten out the eccentricity.

That has not been my experience. I was so disappointed when the "S" die didn't live up to the hype I ordered a Forester with a custom neck. Even that die has a hard time making new brass perfectly concentric because the bodies are so under size.

If you are talking the FL "S" dies I have no idea.

As far as Lapua brass goes....I make sure the necks are round.

EDIT
eccentricity........yes it will straighten that out, never mind my blabber.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply's guys. "Bros" has enlightned me as to the type of die I need to get the neck straight to the case body. I just ordered a Redding Competetion Neck Die. This die completely captures the case and then neck sizes. I will see how it works when it gets here next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts