Preparing for first prs match

Canhunter35

E0A0BF94-F4EA-4ECB-A120-BC4FEAEA94CD.jpeg
7F2F9681-4C95-4B6B-8713-3B51802EC458.jpeg
9EC8F7D0-0153-45CA-9AD3-A3298627F5DA.jpeg
Planning on attending my first prs match this summer, so I did some scope switching and what not on my 700milspec in 308. Had a mark 4 with tmr reticle and Moa turrets, so I swapped to my sightron stac so the reticle and turrets match. Then added an extra bubble level from China to shoot left handed(I shoot right but some cof have offhand stages I guess) I can't see the mk machining bubble level on the front left so needed one on the right. I'm going to borrow a friends bottom metal and magazines to use during the match. Haven't been to one before, but I'm thinking I'll be the only guy with a tiger striped maple stock at the shoot lol.
Shot the first 2 shots to rezero, corrected, shot 2 more then shot three and I lifted the one out a little, but it's zeroed. Shot five shots at 400 and measured them to be 1.35"
If anyone has some advice to share regarding prs matches, I'd be glad to have some. Besides getting a better wind bucking caliber, lol. If I enjoy the matches I'll put together a rifle for prs.
I purchased a tab gear prs sling, have an accuracy 1st rear bag and a large Caldwell shooting bag, kestrel, and rangefinder. Will that get me through a match?

Just go with an open mind, have fun and learn from the good shooters. Not sure what type of prs style match you are going to attend, some are more prone heavy with props mixed in and some are positional/barricade etc. Some ranges offer a practice day before the match. Main thing just have fun and keep safety as your first objective. It will take a few matches to get a good feel of things, learning what works and what doesn't. You will also see how the gear you have fits your needs. The good thing is, any good prs style rifle/optic can double as a hunting setup for most long range hunting. Good luck and have fun.

You will be amazed at the gadgets, bags, tripods, hooks, straps doHicky's and thingamajigs that people show up with. I get by with a sling and triad tactical wedge bag.

My advice is to show up and shoot your game. If you know you are better at one position, use that to your advantage. Don't rush to get off all your shots but try to make sure you are confident when you pull the trigger. Short memory, Don't let misses get in your head. Safety is huge at these so take your time and be safe.

Most of all, try to enjoy it and don't take yourself too seriously. The competitions can be tough and some guys are really competitive (see not very nice) but there is plenty of fun to be had.

One last thing- pay attention when you are spotting. It really bothers me when I have my gun in hand, hitting targets, and am having to call my own hits. I am diligent when you shoot, I expect the same from you when I shoot.

I plan on having fun. I'm doing it for entertainment. Shooting and hunting are hobbies and always will be. Shot with my left hand at 550, that'll take some practice getting comfortable doing that lol.

Tagging in. I'm getting into PRS as well. Got my custom .260 back from the smith. Need to mount a scope and go shoot.

Beautiful rifle! You got a detachable box mag? I heard it's a pain to run a BDL or ADL.

Thanks for starting the thread!

Tagging in. I'm getting into PRS as well. Got my custom .260 back from the smith. Need to mount a scope and go shoot.

Beautiful rifle! You got a detachable box mag? I heard it's a pain to run a BDL or ADL.

Thanks for starting the thread!
Thanks! I'm borrowing the magazine box from my buddy's Bergara hmr if it will fit? It's a 700 footprint so we figured it would. If it doesn't I'll just buy one of those polymer magazine well kits. He has two 10 round mags and a 5 round mag. Should get me through a match?

Thanks! I'm borrowing the magazine box from my buddy's Bergara hmr if it will fit? It's a 700 footprint so we figured it would. If it doesn't I'll just buy one of those polymer magazine well kits. He has two 10 round mags and a 5 round mag. Should get me through a match?

Yeah that should be perfect

70ish% of the shots are positional. Practice sitting kneeling, I've been using a trigger stick standing and it is enlightening to say the least. Know your reticle on the scope for other powers if it's a sfp. Some stages can be multiple distances without being allowed to dial and at max power it is impossible at times to find the target if obscured even just moderately.
I saw someone use these and now use them for my range card
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Iz...ist-Tie-in-Black-2-Pack-GT12-2PK-01/203210641
I tie it around my scope in front of the front ring then bend it to fit my index card. My dope and what the distance and type of target(s) are for that stage. I use a small potato chip clip to hold the card to the twist tie. I tried one card for the whole thing first time now i card per stage. A pack with an internal frame to keep it upright helps and carries your bags ammo and other shistuff:D
Have fun and watch how others are shooting the stage and figure out if your strengths can improve upon what they are doing or not.
I had some physical issues my first time. I couldn't do certain things and shot using some different techniques. Some made it easier for me. Most allowed me to get the required shots off in the allotted time.

Lastly make sure your dope is good. My first time I had changed lots of powder and had turned necks that were .002 less than my dope load.
Couple that with going a full turn past my zero and it cost me quite few head scratching moments.

Can you use a semi auto in those matches? I have a tricked out ruger 10/22. That seems like a blast!

Can you use a semi auto in those matches? I have a tricked out ruger 10/22. That seems like a blast!
I think so, I believe semi autos are allowed in the center fire ones...I don't really know. I'll post if guys have any 10/22s at the match and how they compared to the bolt guns

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.