Preparing for First Full Rifle Build & Semi wildcat 243AI

LRDesert

In the very early stages of building a lightweight Target/Hunting Rifle. I plan on using the Defiance TI action and Bartlein #3B barrel chambered for the .243 AI . Am having a hard time finding a Gunsmith in Western Oregon that has any glowing reviews. Would really like to find a local smith to perform this work so there can be more open communication as the build progresses. Any one out there have an suggestions? I have used SPR recently for a Re-Barrel and am considering just talking to them about this build. A small list of other questions for those that are more experienced than I.

1. Suggestions on Trigger. looking between trigger tech and Jewell. (worth cost of having defiance handle the trigger?)
2. Stock suggestions i would like to keep this rifle around 8lbs. finish weight with optic.
3. Bottom metal would like to go DBM with a flush fit 3 round mag. currently looking at the Curtis Custom any other suggestions.
4. Lastly any suggestions on the chamber itself as i have not spoken to a smith interested to hear any suggestions those who have owned this caliber have (headspacing, Reamers, general info)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. As a footnote this will be the rifle my son learns to shoot centerfires with. so light recoil is a must and I feel that the 243 is an excellent caliber for mid size game with minimal recoil and the AI version with the extra capacity should be able to extend the effective range a bit.

I love me a 243. Don't be afraid to send the rifle out of state. There are great smiths everywhere if they aren't by you.

1. Trigger tech special is a solid unit and now days gets the nod over the Jewels for me.
2. Look at AG Composites. Carbon fiber, light weight and look good.
3. I'm not a dbm fan for the most part on a hunting rifle but a flush fit would be nice.
4. The standard 243AI chamber should be just fine. Won't require a special reamer or anything and will allow you to chase those lands and not worry about running out of mag space.

I've owned a 243AI and would suggest just going 6creed or 243Win. If you plan on shooting 105-110gr I'd go 7.5twist also.
What finish length on the barrel? Fluting? Might be hard to hit 8lbs all up with a 3b.

I just had one put together by Oregon Timberwolf. He did a great job but was a little off on his estimated finish date. He is in mulino. I think my next will be LRI or straightjacket. Mostly because of the reviews they get on this site. Chad and his team at lri are super helpful over the phone with shipping and anything you want. They are in South Dakota though.

Send it to Greg at SPR. He's in the process of building me a 25 SST using the Defiance AnTi. This is the third rifle he's built me. For all the questions you have give him a call and leave a message. He'll set you up with a sweet rig. For my response to your questions though:

1. It's a hunting rifle so go TT.
2. Second AG
3. I like BDL m, but look at HS Precision for DBM. They don't stick out far at all and I have no issues running my 6.5-06AI through them.
4. No idea? Greg will know though!

Good luck on the build and Let the wait begin for the AnTi if you haven't ordered already!

edit: last custom Greg built me is a 6.5-06AI: 26" Bartlein 3B straight flute, PTG stainless rem 700 LA with fluted bolt, HS Precision bottom metal, Manners EH1, topped with Talley rings and a VX-5HD. Weighs 9.5 lbs fully loaded with sling. To hit that 8 lbs mark keep the barrel short, get a lighter scope (VX-3i), and lighter stock than the manners.

Last edited:
I just had one put together by Oregon Timberwolf. He did a great job but was a little off on his estimated finish date. He is in mulino. I think my next will be LRI or straightjacket. Mostly because of the reviews they get on this site. Chad and his team at lri are super helpful over the phone with shipping and anything you want. They are in South Dakota though.
Thanks for the reference I have also looked into LRI.

Planning on 24" finish. Definitely fluting the barrel. Been considering going with a slightly smaller profile.

Send it to Greg at SPR. He's in the process of building me a 25 SST using the Defiance AnTi. This is the third rifle he's built me. For all the questions you have give him a call and leave a message. He'll set you up with a sweet rig. For my response to your questions though:

1. It's a hunting rifle so go TT.
2. Second AG
3. I like BDL m, but look at HS Precision for DBM. They don't stick out far at all and I have no issues running my 6.5-06AI through them.
4. No idea? Greg will know though!

Good luck on the build and Let the wait begin for the AnTi if you haven't ordered already!

edit: last custom Greg built me is a 6.5-06AI: 26" Bartlein 3B straight flute, PTG stainless rem 700 LA with fluted bolt, HS Precision bottom metal, Manners EH1, topped with Talley rings and a VX-5HD. Weighs 9.5 lbs fully loaded with sling. To hit that 8 lbs mark keep the barrel short, get a lighter scope (VX-3i), and lighter stock than the manners.
Definitely considering talking with Greg about the build as he is currently re barreling my Sako action. He has been great dealing with.

I've owned a 243AI and would suggest just going 6creed or 243Win. If you plan on shooting 105-110gr I'd go 7.5twist also.
What finish length on the barrel? Fluting? Might be hard to hit 8lbs all up with a 3b.
Did you experience issues with the AI version?

what profile AG stocks have you guys handled. Any suggestions. The CAT looks pretty intriguing as well as the Chalk Branch. Any opinions?

I am doing almost this exact thing for my six-year-old right now. I'm going with a standard fast twist 243 and I'm using a manners CS stock so as he grows, he will always be able to use the stock - and daddy will too

Been using my 243AI since 1973. On it's 5th barrel and 2nd stock. My first custom rifle. Built on a Rem 788 action, so can't help you there. Stock is very pretty African Obeche wood. Feeds flawlessly out of original clip, widened slightly for the fatter caryridge. If you go with the 40° shoulder it stops case stretching and case trimming every 3rd firing (std 243 requirement due to shoulder slope). Incredibly accurate. Over 100 deer with this rifle. Still my most favorite. Last 2 barrels twisted 1:8. Shoot heavies and now Hammers very well! Shot p dogs to 1200 yds with it. You'll love it.

Great to hear from some guys that have the AI version. I know it doesn't gain you a whole lot but I always like adding new and different calibers than what you typically see at the range. Have plenty of standard calibers in the safe. Should be an awesome setup for my son To learn on.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.