Preparing for Aoudad Hunt

I've killed 24-25 lost count anyway they can be tough bastards for sure very strong willed animals. I've dropped some just to watch them stand back up and need a follow up. I've used a variety of calibers over the years.

6.5 creed—143's
270 and nosler silver tips
280-140gr core lokt
7mm rem-140gr Silver tip...do not recommend at all!
7mm rem-160gr A-Frame...big fan and the scirocco 150gr
300AX with 200gr accubond and 181gr hammers
458 socom and 260 CEB Maximus and 300gr TTSX

I learned that I like to drive the bullet through the shoulder, takes out some bone/mobility and results in a clean double lung. Definitely want a bonded or solid bullet to ensure a pass through. I've recover quite a few bullets from them. Also want a little more SD to carry through to try and get a blood trail/ exit. In my experience they have typically not bled well.

Had a friend that took two with his Grendel. I thought I had pictures but can't find them now? I will continue to look. Good luck and hope it works out

Here's 2 that my son shot with my 7 mag on a youth hunt!! I was shaking worse than he was!!

Attachments

• 81FE8F01-9C73-41C9-B762-F8F6F6C1F6DB.jpeg
    81FE8F01-9C73-41C9-B762-F8F6F6C1F6DB.jpeg
    596.9 KB · Views: 137
They are loyalty points, not preference points. IE if you have 4 points, that's 4 entries into the draw. So it's a lottery and everyone has a chance.

I've been pretty lucky.
What hunts have you been drawn for? How long did it take for each category? Any luck? Would you recommend the area? I've only been drawn once. My son was drawn 4 times before he turned 16. We got to go to Big Bend Ranch, Colorado Bend twice, and Mason Mountain once. I've only got to go to Palo Duro Canyon. I believe I will have 9 points this year for mule deer.

What hunts have you been drawn for? How long did it take for each category? Any luck? Would you recommend the area? I've only been drawn once. My son was drawn 4 times before he turned 16. We got to go to Big Bend Ranch, Colorado Bend twice, and Mason Mountain once. I've only got to go to Palo Duro Canyon. I believe I will have 9 points this year for mule deer.

Palo duro canyon with 1 point and devils river with 3 points. Killed a good ram at pd canyon (for pd canyon..27" ram). My hunting partners killed a 30" and 29" at the devils (way better geneticsthan pd canyon) . I missed a decent ram the last morning. We killed 8 total at devils and 4 at pd canyon.

True western style hunts. Hike, glass, stalk....rinse and repeat.

Palo duro canyon with 1 point and devils river with 3 points. Killed a good ram at pd canyon (for pd canyon..27" ram). My hunting partners killed a 30" and 29" at the devils (way better geneticsthan pd canyon) . I missed a decent ram the last morning. We killed 8 total at devils and 4 at pd canyon.

True western style hunts. Hike, glass, stalk....rinse and repeat.
That's awesome!!

Thanks for all the replies. I've got a lot of work to do to get ready! 300-500 yards sure seems like a long ways. I'll have to practice a lot!
Yes, you need to be able to shoot across to the next ridge. Being a flatlander like yourself, I quickly found an issue hunting in mountains I was completely unprepared for. Shin Splints. Happens when going downhill and extending your toes lower than your heels. Walking or running stairs will do nothing to prepare for this. After the misery of my first hunt in the Mountains, I prepared differently. I found a steep hill along the river. It was only maybe 100ft high at the most, but good enough. Started with a backpack and 2 gal of water in it. Emptied at the top and took twice as long coming down as up. Kept at it until I could carry 5gal both up and down the hill without pain or being winded. Enjoyed my next trip out West.

Like others have said. Be in mountain shape because it's a mountain hunt. Running, ruck hikes, body weight resistance type workouts. Be proficient with a rifle out to 500-600 yards. Though your shots might be closer. When I went last year we killed three sheep. Furthest shot was 440 yards shortest 225 yards. I would suggest at least a .270 with a mono bullet or at least a bonded bullet. They are very tough and vitals are further forward than on a deer. Take a good pack and plenty of water. Good binos on a tripod and a spotting scope are a must have item for me. Good knife and game bags as well. Do not leave the meat behind it is pretty good eating if cooked and handled correctly.
So glad to see you took the meat. Shot a nice ram last year. My first and only Aoudad hunt. We caped him out and the guide said let's go. I asked about the meat and he said they taste terrible . I was very sad about that. Looked at this beautiful animal whose life I just took for a cape and a mount. I have never done that before and never will again. While I have heard they taste awful there are a number of people also say they are good to eat. That part of the hunt I did not enjoy.
For anyone looking to get in mountain shape this is a great program from onXhunt:

Last October hunted Wyoming and climbed really steep terrain to 10,500 with a pack and while not easy , was very doable. Im a 71 Y/O flatlander so the program works.
Good luck