Preparing for Aoudad Hunt

At least I got 280 AI dialed in finally. 168 Berger's factory loads !

Attachments

• F3CD8B31-A2A0-42BB-9D99-36E6B98664D2.jpeg
    F3CD8B31-A2A0-42BB-9D99-36E6B98664D2.jpeg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 145
If you have time I personally would try a different bullet. I know guys on here Like them and when they work wow but the often fail. In fact every guide I've gone after audad with says they lose more to that bullet in rifles or guys using match ammo out of creedmore.

We shot this ram with a 280 AI with 165 game changer at 377 yards he was shot a bit far back--but he dropped after the second. Both bullets did not exit. At first shot the ram didn't hardly react. I have killed a ton of Aoudad with a Berger from as small as a 95 grain 6mm--and I agree when you look at how the bullet reacts--it is not confidence inspiring. We short a big ram with a 243 WSSM 95 grain berger and he walked off...we found him about 50 yards from where we shot him. I use a 338 RCM/338 Norma. I shoot a 250 berger in my Norma and I make sure all tips are open after I tumble them. Your 280 AI should work well, just make sure the tips are open and you place your bullet right .

Attachments

• IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 185
All
We shot this ram with a 280 AI with 165 game changer at 377 yards. Both bullets did not exit. At first shot the ram didn't hardly react. I have killed a ton of Aoudad with a Berger from as small as a 95 grain 6mm. We short a big ram with a 243 WSSM and he walked off...we found him about 50 yards from where we shot him. I use a 338 RCM/338 Norma. I shoot a 250 berger in my Norma--and I make sure all tips are open after I tumble them. Your 280 AI should work well, just make sure the tips are open and you place your bullet right .
I agree 100%, I think Berger is more vigilant about there tips now.. I have shot 6 Aoudad all with Berger.. 180 grain Hybrid, 215 Hybrid, 140 Hybrid, 250 Elite hunter.. Never had a sheep not go down.. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to shoot the 168.. Just make a good shot.. "Placement." Any bullet can fail with bad placement..
1. Good broke in boots.. All leather.. Don't screw up your hunt getting blisters.
2. As mentioned before .. Angle shooting.. Up hill , down hill, and everything in between. A holdover scope is hard with angle, get a rangefinder that will compensate the angle for you.
3. Be very aware of where you shoot from.. Cactus everywhere so down just drop down and land in a mess .
4. Good shooting sticks or a good bipod.

Here's some we just shot two weeks ago, All berger bullets.

Berger success

Attachments

• BC3B4137-CDE0-4F72-83D2-F45479464DE8.jpeg
    BC3B4137-CDE0-4F72-83D2-F45479464DE8.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 189
  • A0CE71B3-E56A-411A-819D-D14B3497361B.jpeg
    A0CE71B3-E56A-411A-819D-D14B3497361B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 220
  • 1C0FA840-A967-4E41-8637-A81C1CE3B2A8.jpeg
    1C0FA840-A967-4E41-8637-A81C1CE3B2A8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 199
After 6 different factory loads and 20 plus hand loads with high end components from 140-160 grain bullets the 168 Berger seems to make my CA 280 AI Ridgeline happy.
I am just trying to find a happy bullet for a species new to me.
looks like good fun.
pics are great

I never argue how well Berger work they do. But I compare them to mechanical broads heads. When they work they are impressive and devastating. But when they don't work it sucks.
Two issues they are soft and when you hit the shoulder or socket bone it could end bad. Also as stated tops need to be clean. The second is true for even the hammers. I've never had them fail but I could see a tip being closed and causing issues. If you are only comfortable shooting to 600 then bc is not an issues. So why not use a bullet you know will work. Hammer or partition. Seems you never find a story of them failing. Which is hard to do with any product . Again they will work but when you have even 10 percent saying they have failed would you chance your once in a lifetime hunt on it?
Now if your talking over 1000 yards I think you will be hard pressed to find a better bullet.

I 100 percent agree. i haven't had an Accubond or. Barnes TTSX fail.
just my stupid gun doesn't seem happy with what I have tried so far and I am almost out of time.
I have a CA in 300WM that will shoot anything sub MOA. It might get the start in the future.
3 weeks before hunt!

Custom cartridge loads hammers in the 280 AI
With that time table may be worth ordering a box to see.
Although I believe the Berger will get it done if that's what you have. Just another option for loaded ammo never hurts

I have decided that I want to go on an aoudad hunt in the next few years. The next couple seasons I will put in for Texas draw hunts, after my wife gets out of college, I'll probably go ahead and spend the money on a guide service.

While I wait I will be getting myself into better shape and getting the gear I need. I'm thinking boots first and good binoculars second.

Any suggestions on how else I can prepare? My shooting options are limited right now, but I will be participating in NRL22 matches, so at least I will be getting some trigger time other than shooting from a bench.
Like everyone says:

1. Good broke in leather boots. I have used basic issue military leather jump boots for years but now I use the Kenetrek Mountain Guide NI.

2. A good set of Binos I use 10x42 Leupold.

3. A range finder with True Ballistic Range set up to your rifle. I use the 1200 Yard Leupold TBR DNA.

4. A good water source and extra water. Hydrate a few days in advance. I put ice in my Camel Bak and let it melt throughout the day on hot days. You still have to hydrate on cold days.

5. Carry some salty and sugary snacks if you are gonna be out all day or multiple days. Gives you a little energy when needed.

6. Extra socks if you are going to be doing a lot of hiking.

7. A good set of gaiters, cacti are everywhere and the snake proof ones are good for cacti, snakes, and hot weather. I always seem to find a rattler when hunting in Texas Lol.

8. A rifle that you can shoot good. I usually use a .308 when hunting Auodad and Javelina. It has killed everything so far.

9. Your workout program should have a lot of cardio and incline training.

10. Try to stay in the shadows and shade while you glass for them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey, I used my 300 Wby with a 180 TSX, he was bedded down for a nights sleep and the only thing that moved after the shot was his head. After his head slumped down he never moved until I put my hands on him. Shot was a bit over 200 yds if I remember correctly. Working on another trip down to TX now, but since my 300 is on it's way back home after a rebarrel. I might have to take a different rifle, it's good to have choices! Take Care

I just got back from an aoudad hunt. I wore Salomon boots and used 12x50mm binos. They worked well.

Texas public land hunt. We stacked 8 sheep. One 30"er and one 29". Longest shot was 660yds. All killed with 6.5 creed 143eldx. The 660yd shots all made complete pass throughs

Last edited by a moderator: