Premium large bins from Swarovski, Leica or, Zeiss?

Im 57 and Ive had all kinds of glass.Its personal preference.I had ziess and swaro in 10x42 and couldnt tell a difference.Then I traded straight across for my 10x42 els for 10x32,because I liked the size far better.My 15x50 vortex out spot them on tripod all the time.I like all three top brands and probably more I havent used.I usually get 40-50 full days in archery and rifle.Hunt with guys with alot of top glass,have a kowa 554 & 774 Im going to part with,there nice.Ive had no problem spotting up 200 '' muleys for my son and I.My terrapin took a dump and its $1200 to look into that goes towards fix,DONE with them,the sig is fast reads long and has firing solution.Better size too

I am in my mid-50's and live in rural East Texas. When COVID is over, I hope to restart my travels which are usually two-weeks to the Pacific Northwest, Atlantic Northeast coast, Canada, National parks, etc. I also hope to spend more time along the Texas Gulf coast on 'three day weekends'. I like to watch wildlife graze and to a lesser extent birds, and ships going into and out of ports. I'm not much of a plane spotter though I've been known to occasionally watch planes land and take off in scenic places.

In larger binoculars, say 12 power give or take a little bit, what are the better options for what I want without totally breaking the bank? The Leica Ultravid 12x50mm HD-Plus is running right now at $2K but, I wonder about Swarovski options which seem to get better general reviews for the EL's, and I wonder about the steep price increase for NL's and being only 42mm. Then there is Zeiss which seems to be top-notch and generally a lot more expensive than similar options from Leica and Swarovski.

Based on my other post, I should note I wear glasses but, that didn't seem to be a huge factor. Also, being older with smaller pupil dilation can be an issue but, even at 8 power, I think I'm well served with 50mm or 56mm objectives.

Initially, I'm thinking I want 10 power but, with some Minox 8.5x43's I think there is a lot of logic to step up to 12 power though I wonder about hand shake and general use without a tripod. Even big 10's and 8's are likely a similar size and weight so, maybe I'm overthinking the weight and the hand shake issue without a tripod.

In the $1,000 to $2,000 range is best but, the most expensive option is replacing something that didn't live up to expectations and needs. $3500 isn't realistic and I wonder about the performance trade-offs in sub=$1,000 bins.

What am I overlooking?

TIA,
Sid
you cannot go wrong with any of the 3. I like Zeiss. But again, all 3 are excellent.

If you want a truly educated opinion, you might try Doug at camera
Camera_Land-728x90-12220.gif

5c4647d73d868775d61ec26b_logo300.png

Just wanted to take a moment and wish everyone a healthy and happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the people you're with, think of the good, let go of the bad and of course leave room for dessert.

From my family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving

Have a great day

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our web site @ www.cameralandny.com

You should be asking this on a camera or birding forum. They will have the lense prescription, the coating prescription, what colors it will highlight or hide. You are asking people who look at the end results first. You want to get your advice from the nerdy geek who can go into the minutiae in very fine detail. My Zeiss are 35to 40 years old and give up little to many1000 dollar units today. Once you hit that number though you will see a difference.
If I were you I'd look at the 10xx54 HT and a good spotter to add a phone scope attachment too, for photo/video capability in a multi-use less expensive package. Above 10x needs a tripod and without the high price, the above will resolve and perform much better in lowlight.
If you are looking for hours or days top glass will reduce scratchy eyes lesser glass will cause

Camera and birding forums have their own biases, just like motorcycle forums. Harley Davidson and to a lesser extent, BMW motorcycle forums lack any real objectivity with many users. Camera forums have their own issues with cellphone camera experts and those that obsess over classic film versus digital options. Briderers seem to be overly focused on compact sizing and weight as well.

Many users on forums like this are more open-minded as the final result matters most and they care most about products that actually work in the 'field'. If a Nikon HG or Pentax ED was the best solution, I am more likely to see those broad diverse opinions on such options in a forum like this IMHO.

The other factor is your eyesight. I've worked in the retail firearms business and done a Iot of hunting.

It's been my experience that most guys or nearly all of them just don't get their eye check once they reach 50 and older.

It won't matter if you spend two or three grand on optics if you have poor eyesight you blowing your money.

A man came into the store and wanted to buy a high end scope for his wife. She was diagnosed with a degenerative eye disease and lost 40% of her vision. She's in her 50s.

I couldn't sell him an expensive scope in good faith because it wouldn't have helped her. I referred him to her eye doctor for recommendations. Her doctor couldn't because of the rate she was losing her vision.

This is an extreme case but clarifies the point that as we get older and our vision begins slip. Get back to speed with and eye exam and corrective lenses then look for a really good pair of binoculars.

I totally get what you are saying. My mother INSISTED my grandmother of very modest means get $6,000 hearing aids which were not covered by various insurance schemes.

Hearing aids won't fix dementia! With these hearing aids that were really beyond her financial means, her mental cognition did not improve. (On a trip, grandma took them out because they bothered her ears and put them in a tissue. When they stopped at a roadside rest area, mom cleaned the car while grandma used the restroom and threw them away. :eek:) Yes, a 'smart' person that can't hear will benefit from hearing aids, just like a smart person that can't read because they can't see the text!

In my case, with high blood pressure, I do get somewhat frequent eye exams. I'll stay off the Luxotica eyeglasses rip-off scam soapbox ... 🤬

I've been given the green light to finally get some Alpha brand binoculars. My hunting buddy has Swaro EL's and they proved to me good glass is worth the $$. Same deal- trying to compare Swaro EL's vs Zeiss Victory vs. Leica Geovids. Problem for me is in town (Helena MT) my choice of retailers carrying things is limited, and I'm not paying top dollar until I can put them before my eyes.

Last night my wife and I went into a locally owned Sporting goods/hunting/gunsmith place. They carry all three but limited quantities. They did have Swaro EL-R 10x42 and lower end Zeiss (not Victory), and they had a pair of Leica Noctovid 10x42. To me the Swaro and the Zeiss were about the same. It was low light and I used them outside. My wife felt the same way. Then we tried the Noctovids and we both found the Leica to be superior to both others. It just *popped* comparatively.

I'm not to sold on having internal range finding and ballistics. I think it would become maddening to have top shelf bino's that at some point may have no more support for the electronics, and certainly the specter of 'out of warranty' scares me. I'm leaning on just good glass.

Man those Noctovids are nice. My wife spends a lot of time bird watching/wildlife watching so these may be the ones for general all around use.

The new generation Swarovski NL, Zeiss SF, and Leica Noctovid are all really good. On the birder forums I'm on, the Swarovski NL's rule the vast majority of Alpha bin owners and users.

Many have converted from Zeiss SF for various reasons. Leica Noctovid seems to be a dark horse in the Alpha race with a very vocal advocate group and the 'color cast' seems to be preferred for birders, though a few comment on eye relief with glasses. The eye relief comment is a bit puzzling because Swarovski NL's in 10 or 12 power are pretty short eye relief too.

I wear glasses and I had no issues with the Leica's. In fact I had to move the eyepieces out a notch for best results. I wish I could compare them to Swaro EL's (no rangefinder) and the Swaro pure. It just ain't in the cards for me.

I wear glasses and I had no issues with the Leica's. In fact I had to move the eyepieces out a notch for best results. I wish I could compare them to Swaro EL's (no rangefinder) and the Swaro pure. It just ain't in the cards for me.
It sounds like we are in a similar position without a lot of good retail or "buddy" options for comparisons of premium options. I'm trying to judge some Meopta binoculars against Zeiss myself without any tangible 'touch' access. If I could have seen some Leica in person, it is highly likely I would have some UltraVision Plus in my hands from the recent sale but, with so many reports of eye relief issues, I didn't feel secure in burning a $2,000 hole in my credit card.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.