Prefit Barrels

Buster Hemlock

Thinking about trying out a prefit barrel for a Defiance action. I've been looking at Patriot Valley Arms as they offer a prefit in the cartridge I'm looking for. Anyone have any experience with PVA or any other company that offers prefits for a Defiance action?

I have two anTi's on the way. I'll take any info though good, bad, ugly about prefits. I had a really great gunsmith but now he is fully retired. I'm still feeling out a new one and a lot of guyshave some long lead times and well..... I want this barrel sooner than later for the upcoming hunting season. I have plenty of guns to fall back on but just want something new that I can do load development on and hunt with this year rather than be waiting on

I have used Shilen, Krieger, McGowan and a few other prefits. Every single one of them was excellent. The Shilen and Kreiger had far better chambers on them than any factory barrel and better than a lot of gunsmith cut barrels. There really is no advantage that I can see having a gunsmith cut the chamber versus having the barrel maker do it. They will do custom necks, free bore and pretty much anything else you can order from a smith. I suggest you order one and give it a try. I no longer get a smith to cut my chambers, most I have them do is head space barrels on guns that don't have a barrel nut.

My 6.5 PRC #2 rock creek prefit from PVA shoots very very well. It took longer than I expected, but from what I understand they are more caught up and have the kinks worked out. Seems like prefits are their main focus at this point. I have a criterion in a heavy contour that shoots very well also, but I don't know that they do Defiance prefits specifically.

My PVA barrel is first class. Great machine work and very accurate. My only problem with them, is I was quoted 6 to 8 weeks and it took 9 months. After 5 months I was contacted and told, " We are sorry and getting things together. We'll get you timely updates. We are on track the be caught up in the next 3 to 6 weeks".

So if they have their lead times down now, you'd be hard pressed to find a better prefit barrel.

Last edited:
I have a PVA 6mm Dasher (Norma). I opted for the button rifled barrel, after talking to a guy at PVA. Now this is on a Savage 12 Target action. I shoot in matches where targets range from 200-500 meters....if I could get over my case of cranial rectumtitis, I would have won a couple, and tied some other 1st place spots....So I am happy with the barrel....I don't know if the cut rifled barrel would give better accuracy, or if for .01-.02 groups I would use one, but they are a great barrel for the price. I would (and probably will) order another one....rsbhunter

I am sure the quality of work from PVA is top notch, but after my experience with ordering a John Hancock rifle i will not be using them going forward. After two years of either empty promises or crickets I finally got my refund back. It's unfortunate, I was really looking forward to that rifle.

I ordered a 6.5 Creedmoor from PVA for my ARC Nucleus that took 7 months to get. When it got it and was in the final assembly of everything we went check feeding and it would not chamber the round. It would stop about 1/4"-1/2" and not feed. After looking closer, and also having a 6mm Creedmoor RPR, I fed a 6mm Creedmoor and it chambered fine. Called PVA and sent the barrel back to them. They confirmed it was chambered incorrectly but then my barrel got lost that I sent back. Got back in line and waited again for the barrel. I received the barrel after about 2 months and it's fantastic but the entire process was not pleasant. There just too many makers out there to have to worry about this. Not badmouthing them as they eventually made it right. Good luck!

I can't say having a prefit made from a blank by other than the Barrel maker adds up for me . To me the greatest advantage to the prefits is they cost FAR less if you order a Shilen, than getting Shilen blank and having it chambered elsewhere. Example, Shilen Stainless Select Match grade $358, drop in for a Savage, threaded and chambered $458, Ruger RPR $478. Don't know of anyone that will thread and chamber a barrel for $100.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.