Preferred Press for Precision Rifle?

Don't get me wrong though. I'm sure premium presses are a joy to use, if I could afford one I'd get it for a lifetime of use.
Like,

And the other thing is if the old press would wear out or die we feel justified in updating or upgrading it.

I have several presses, you will get a lot of opinions. Think about design as well. "O" presses (IE: RockChucker, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, etc) have been a standard for decades but the open designs (MEC, Co-Ax, etc) have a lot to offer - in my opinion. I don't have one yet as I don't think my RockChucker will ever need to be replaced, I would be probably get the MEC first then Co-Ax. Maybe check out the Panhandle Precision video about the MEC and UltimateReloader for both, and the 419, on the Tube of Yous as well.

Among everything else we then listen to Gavin Tube and Eric Cortina so , ahh yes there is great gear out there.

Technique and skill also play a part in the end result, this applies to the reloading and the shooting.

M.E.C press, anyone using one?
I use it to do all of the seating operations. I have basically relegated my Chucker to the "grunt" work, sizing operations, and handgun work. For years I used the Chucker for everything and went on my way in blissful ignorance regarding run-out. Still, in those days my 25-06 varmint rifle was capable of 1/3 " groups at 100 yards. It also took a ground squirrel at just under 400 yards. Now, I no longer do any hunting, knees and bad back but now I'm chasing the elusive .000 " group. Do I make any better rounds, well the gauges say the run-out is under control but in my blissful youth, I didn't know run-out even existed. I just went on my way and made pretty good ammo.

I have a few, but for my precision loads, I still use my 40 yo DIY arbor press (left over from my stool shooting days) and Wilson bullet seater. Inexpensive and easy to make. Sized it to fit in a 50 cal can for range loading.

20161022_123041.jpg
20200907_161812.jpg

I started with an RCBS single stage press many years ago. It got damaged when a huge tree fell on the building it was in during hurricane Gustav. I then purchased a Hornady single stage press and I am still using it. I use a Dillon 550 for .223 and 300 BLK. I get very good results from the Hornady press and dies. Like someone mentioned earlier, the dies make a big difference. I also took Butterbean's advice and use a factory Lee crimp die on all of my cartridges with shoulders and anneal after each firing. It makes a significant difference.

After being subjected to more than 2 dozen makes, models, and vintages of presses in my reloading "career", I have a few pointers for anyone wanting a good, solid, tight, accurate, press.
find one that fits you with tight tolerances.
the most recent presses are not always the best/tightest.
I have found the larger the ram diameter the press seems to have a better repeatability and stays tight for longer
Hollywood presses are like this but finding them is near impossible and they had brass bushings that could be replaced easily to keep the press very tight and ridged. good oil and greases will make your press last longer. some even tell you in their manual what has made the grade in their own tests.. Dillon, RCBS and redding all suggest 30 weight motor oil. I found that Lucas oil extreme gun grease works even better and does a better job at staying in place and keeping the ram and such lubricated.

my suggestions:

I have found the RCBS rockchucker supreme is a great press, so is the Redding Big Boss, Hornady Iron Press, Some people love the Forester's Co-Ax press but I truly do not trust the case holding system. I have nightmares over that system

Turret presses speed up the loading process and some are so ridged that you would think they were O-presses.. for example the Redding I have seen it to be superior to all others I have ever used. excluding HollyWood.

then we have the manual progressives, only one has ever passed my tests for repeatability and accuracy.. Dillon 550. the features of the dillon 550 are not well know in my opinion. you can lock down the case plate and it will be as if you just made a 4 station single stage press. I have loaded 1,000 300 win mag on that press I have also seen bench rest quality reloads come off a dillon 550. very little run out from concentric.

I know there are fans of the Hornady LnL AP its auto progressive.. not manual. I have used this press and sold it within a few weeks of buying it.
if you must have an auto progressive.. look at the Dillon 750 and you will never be disappointed.

I will end this by saying, the above are my findings, my opinions, and should be tested out by your standards. not mine. you might find something works for you better than for me. there are too many other presses out there than I have only seen in pictures but never have tried, used, or had my hands on. I might be missing a truly awesome press. try as many as you can and feel them, find out what makes your better in your own mind.

I started with an RCBS single stage press many years ago. It got damaged when a huge tree fell on the building it was in during hurricane Gustav. I then purchased a Hornady single stage press and I am still using it. I use a Dillon 550 for .223 and 300 BLK. I get very good results from the Hornady press and dies. Like someone mentioned earlier, the dies make a big difference. I also took Butterbean's advice and use a factory Lee crimp die on all of my cartridges with shoulders and anneal after each firing. It makes a significant difference.
I'll second your opinion. I love my Hornady Dies and press and Although I wasn't aware of the Butterbeans advice; I too use the Lee's crimp Dies (6mmCM, 6.5CM, 270Win, 308win, and 223Rem) which seemed to have the greatest impact on accurate shooting. I too perform annealing following each firing of and precision reloading that I do. I am looking at buying the newer Hornady press once their in stock at my store. I don't think any press can get me shooting any better then my current setup but you never know. I had thought about buying the Lyman turret press.
will see!!!

I've been reloading for several years from small pistol to large magnum rifle. I started on a Lee Classic Turret and that's what I still use for all of my rifle loads. It has served me ok but as they say, you start reloading and you shoot more. I'm no exception plus I can shoot over a thousand yard's out my back door. As I've been shooting longer distance and looking at the details of load development, I get bothered by the play the Turret has and can't help but think it doesn't help precision. Obviously the press isn't the only thing to look at but that is my question for this thread. Which press do you prefer for precision hand loads?
I have a Dillon 550, it was my first press, I have modified it to free float the seating die, and RCBS charge master that i double check with another scale to weigh precision rounds. For bulk loads and pistol rounds the Dillon sliding bar dispensing system is actually quite good at consistency. I have added some mods, my preference. Also Dillon has the best customer service on the planet. I have lost a part moving and they sent me one, and knew why I needed it, and they still did not charge me. You can run it fast as a progressive or slow it down to do a stage at a time. Caliber change in under two minutes, or less.