Preferred Press for Precision Rifle?

Chris Terra

I've been reloading for several years from small pistol to large magnum rifle. I started on a Lee Classic Turret and that's what I still use for all of my rifle loads. It has served me ok but as they say, you start reloading and you shoot more. I'm no exception plus I can shoot over a thousand yard's out my back door. As I've been shooting longer distance and looking at the details of load development, I get bothered by the play the Turret has and can't help but think it doesn't help precision. Obviously the press isn't the only thing to look at but that is my question for this thread. Which press do you prefer for precision hand loads?

I've been reloading for several years from small pistol to large magnum rifle. I started on a Lee Classic Turret and that's what I still use for all of my rifle loads. It has served me ok but as they say, you start reloading and you shoot more. I'm no exception plus I can shoot over a thousand yard's out my back door. As I've been shooting longer distance and looking at the details of load development, I get bothered by the play the Turret has and can't help but think it doesn't help precision. Obviously the press isn't the only thing to look at but that is my question for this thread. Which press do you prefer for precision hand loads?
Chris -

Howdy !

Press recommendations will vary, if for no other reason than the type of shooting you are doing.
High volumne repetative shooting ? Single shot varminting ? Short range benchrest ( all as examples ).
And of course.... how much time can you afford to spend @ the press, and so forth.

You might end up w/ a variety of presses, that are suitable for varied reloading needs.
I still load w/ my original 49 y.o. Rockchucker, that has required minimal repairs/updating.
For loading @ the range during load workup trials, I use a LEE hand press and Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension dies. I also have used a Sinclair arbor press and Wilson dies @ the range and for benchrest style
competitions. So again, perhaps you'll be best served using multiple presses ?

For my single-stage reloading w/ the Rockchucker, overall time required for precision reloading( for me ) has been
reduced by the introduction of a high precision automated powder measure. I myself ( my loads/my shooting ) have not yet felt compelled to use a turret press, or other more-automated press. YRMV

But whatever the press...... use a good one, great dies; and a superb powder measure method !

With regards,
357Mag

You can go to YouTube and search for 14 reloading press shootout, Ultimate Reloader did this a while back on the single stage press comparison with concentricity measurements. If memory serves me correctly, RCBS Rock Chucker had the smallest measurements on concentricity, I could not believe the Forster's Co-Ax did not come out the winner on it. However, the video will give you a good baseline to make your decision and hopefully the press you choose is in stock.

I do most of my precision loading on a RCBS RockChucker Supreme. Have a RCBS Turret press, Redding Big Boss II and another Supreme.
I will be getting the new RCBS Rebel press in the next couple of months, as any of the super high end presses here push the prices way too high.
Any good press with a cam over feature is a great starting point IMHO.
Single stage presses are far easier to use….however changing dies is a PITA, which is why I have a Turret press with several heads, this is what I use for regular hunting rifles not set-up for true LR. Although the ammo made in it is nothing to sneeze at in the least.
I was told many years ago…buy now what you will end up with in 5 years time. This was great advice as I scrimped and saved to afford the best tools and I only ever had to buy them ONCE. Same goes for presses and gear.

Cheers.

I have read a lot about how the Forster CoAx is supposed to be the best for concentricity and run out.
Also why it's floating die system with the quick change dies is good or how you don't need a shell holder but you can buy an adaptor if you choose to run them.
There are a lot of fans of it but I have also read some negative s, so I have not bought one and continue to keep using my Hornady lock N load press. I don't use the bushing system on it but it's a solid press.

Whatever you get maybe look at a heavy duty solid option.

I believe what is great about the Forster Co-Ax and the F/A M press is the no shell holder and quick change. The floating dies are good, but what I have measured on my M Press, it will vary between .0005 and .003 at times, so I am not sure the floating dies are making it better. Even in that press shootout, both the Forster and F/A had runout that was .002 and up.

I've been using a Redding ulti mag for years and love it