Preferred dies for 6.5PRC

encoreguy

I just purchased a Waypoint 2020 in 6.5PRC and am in the process of buying components to reload for it. On my other bolt guns I have used Lee Collet dies, a Redding body die and a Wilson bullet seater with my Arbor press. I have done various searches and am a bit conflicted what to use. From what I read there can be some challenges getting brass resized properly after a few firings. I know Lee does not offer a Collet die and I am not sure what to use. I have thought about using a Wilson full-length sizing die with bushings and a Wilson seater die? I want to keep it rather simple but still make accurate ammunition. Suggestions?

If I go with a bushing set-up what suggested ranges of bushings do you suggest?

I have to admit, I bought the gun on impulse and then got disappointed as I started looking for brass. I will just have to be patient. If anyone on here has that gun in 6.5PRC, what factory ammo has given you the best results? I may have to start there to get some brass to start with until I can find higher quality brass.

Thank You.

I have been getting very good results in my Seekins Havak Element 6.5prc with factory ELD-X.

I believe there is a process to modify the Lee collet due to work with the prc. You may want to check that out and see what you think.

Well I got my hands on some 6.5PRC Lapua Brass and am ready to purchase my dies. Any other input on dies? I have done forum searches and it seems that some prefer Redding S dies, some Forester, some Hornady, some prefer bushings, others don't? Some don't use a mandrel, others do? This is a slightly different cartridge than I am used to reloading and I am not sure which way to go. I have also read about the issue some are having with tight chambers and challenges getting brass resized properly? Thoughts / Input on your preferred combination of sizing and seating dies. Thanks.

Carbon or steel barrel? IIRC the Waypoint comes in both.

There are as many answers to "what die" as there are people giving you answers, it's ultimately all preference.

I use Hornady dies for 6.5 PRC (so far at least) but my chamber was cut with an AW2 spec reamer. I prefer Redding in general but this is a carbon barrel hunting rifle for me so won't see a ton of volume, if I can get it under an inch with Hornady dies I'm not changing anything.

LE Wilson makes good stuff if you want to go that route. I don't think you can really go wrong, if the rifle was built well it will shoot, and if it doesn't the brand of dies you're using aren't going to be the root problem.

Whidden here, but you'll need the AW2 reamer or a sizing die that can handle the job if you're using brass such as ADG, Peterson or Lapua. I was hanging brass up bad enough to have to drive it out before reaming out the chamber. YMMV

Carbon or steel barrel? IIRC the Waypoint comes in both.

There are as many answers to "what die" as there are people giving you answers, it's ultimately all preference.

I use Hornady dies for 6.5 PRC (so far at least) but my chamber was cut with an AW2 spec reamer. I prefer Redding in general but this is a carbon barrel hunting rifle for me so won't see a ton of volume, if I can get it under an inch with Hornady dies I'm not changing anything.

LE Wilson makes good stuff if you want to go that route. I don't think you can really go wrong, if the rifle was built well it will shoot, and if it doesn't the brand of dies you're using aren't going to be the root problem.
It is the carbon barrel version. I am hoping I will not have to open up the chamber but it may be necessary. Time will tell.?

Whidden here, but you'll need the AW2 reamer or a sizing die that can handle the job if you're using brass such as ADG, Peterson or Lapua. I was hanging brass up bad enough to have to drive it out before reaming out the chamber. YMMV
Did you ream out the chamber yourself or did you have a gunsmith do it? How much does the reamer run? I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and do it now before I invest the time and money in working up loads? However I am sure it would void the warranty so might want to see how she shoots first.

just finished sizing some brass in an RCBS Matchmaker bushing die. The brass chambered just fine using a forester co-ax press if I adjust the die to cam over hard

For hornady brass I use match master dies and forester coax. I use a bushing and mandrel. For lapau, gunwerks, adg brass I use a whidden custom die with a small base spec.

I have a new 6.5 PRC with a Proof Carbon. No idea what reamer the gunsmith used, but may be able to find out. I have Peterson brass not yet used. Can you tell me what an "AW2" reamer is??
My dies are Redding deluxe without the bushings. All I could find when I bought them.
Thanks,
tonto

I have a new 6.5 PRC with a Proof Carbon. No idea what reamer the gunsmith used, but may be able to find out. I have Peterson brass not yet used. Can you tell me what an "AW2" reamer is??
My dies are Redding deluxe without the bushings. All I could find when I bought them.
Thanks,
tonto
Here is a good resource on the subject as it is Alex Wheeler's reamer design that has solved many an issue for folks:

Recent Posts