Preferred bedding compound

Hntbambi

I am getting back into rifles after a 10 year break. I do the majority of my own work and used many of the popular bedding materials Accra-Glass, Accra-Glass Gel, SteelBed, Devcon, Marine Tex, JB Weld, Probed 2000, etc.

What are the current favorites for epoxy? How viscous is the Devcon Titanium putty? It looks interesting but not sure if it will flow enough for bedding needs.

I have tried many different types of bedding compounds and I prefer the Steel bed.

It flows just enough to press the action down to the pillars and then stops(Doesn't
run) it is easy to clean up if you watch the cure time and clean the excess of just before it
gets hard to work. I can also get plenty of work time and then control the set time within
2 hours.

Also it does not get real hot like some of the other brands increasing the chance of getting
a loose fit between the action and the bedding.

It appears to be very durable after a long period of time and fits realy nice after many
disassemblies of the firearm.

J E CUSTOM

Marine-tex is my #1 choice followed by the steel bed. MT is very easy stuff to use and makes a very strong bond to the stock.

I am getting back into rifles after a 10 year break. I do the majority of my own work and used many of the popular bedding materials Accra-Glass, Accra-Glass Gel, SteelBed, Devcon, Marine Tex, JB Weld, Probed 2000, etc.

What are the current favorites for epoxy? How viscous is the Devcon Titanium putty? It looks interesting but not sure if it will flow enough for bedding needs.

Devcon Titanium is a very high quality product. it does have some quirks though. You get about 15 minutes of open clamp time with it. A hot garage in August probably isn't the best environment to bed a gun in with this stuff. The basement is your friend. . .I suggest a glass plate to mix on and keep it spread thin so it won't develop as much heat when it starts to cure on you. Have all your ducks in a row long before you start mixing as it's a wholly hell to clean out of a stock if something goes wrong.

It's abrasive as hell when cured.

Shrinkage, shear strength, shore hardness, resistance to chemicals, and compression strength are all quite good with Devcon Titanium.

If you use it, I suggest mixing by weight and not volume. The use of a digital scale makes this pretty easy.

Devcon sells a supplemental product for this stuff that will extend the pot life a little. I forget the name but its a rust red colored concoction. It will also thin the stuff out a little too.

I use this product for all my tactical rifles and a few other applications. This resin system is the only one I've seen that is rated on the rockwell C scale vs. the shore hardness scale (what's typical for rubbers/plastics) When fully cured it emulates 12L steel- the low 20's in Rockwell C.

Tough chit. It's also about 100 bucks a lb.

Here's a couple samples of how it can look:

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:

I'm about to do some testing on most of these, however after almost 40 years of using it, I still prefer ACRAGLAS. I do use: ACRAGLAS, ACRAGEL, Devcon, Marine Tex and so on. But since I prefer to work mainly on Gas guns, I know ACRAGLAS stands up best to the abuse. First time I bed an M1A (A Devine) in 75, that bedding lasted 2 and 1/2 barrels without any touch ups. And yes, I do clean my rifles.

Yes I'll have most (except JB Weld and Fenwall) for testing. I won't touch Fenwall anymore and I've used Devcon Putty on M14s, don't really care for it.

Devcon Titanium is a very high quality product. it does have some quirks though. You get about 15 minutes of open clamp time with it. A hot garage in August probably isn't the best environment to bed a gun in with this stuff. The basement is your friend. . .I suggest a glass plate to mix on and keep it spread thin so it won't develop as much heat when it starts to cure on you. Have all your ducks in a row long before you start mixing as it's a wholly hell to clean out of a stock if something goes wrong.

It's abrasive as hell when cured.

Shrinkage, shear strength, shore hardness, resistance to chemicals, and compression strength are all quite good with Devcon Titanium.

If you use it, I suggest mixing by weight and not volume. The use of a digital scale makes this pretty easy.

Devcon sells a supplemental product for this stuff that will extend the pot life a little. I forget the name but its a rust red colored concoction. It will also thin the stuff out a little too.

I use this product for all my tactical rifles and a few other applications. This resin system is the only one I've seen that is rated on the rockwell C scale vs. the shore hardness scale (what's typical for rubbers/plastics) When fully cured it emulates 12L steel- the low 20's in Rockwell C.

Tough chit. It's also about 100 bucks a lb.

Here's a couple samples of how it can look:

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

Good luck.

Nicer than 99% of the bedding jobs I've seen online.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.