Preferred .280AI hunting bullet?

Seems like Nosler (Accubond/ABLR), Sierra Game Changer and Hornady ELD-X are at the top of the list. I'm a little surprised that so far nothing has been mentioned about the Berger Classic Hunter...????

This hunting season I lost my first deer in a long time. It was with a vld hunting--130 out of a 6.5 Grendel. I have shot bergers a lot thesr last 8 years since I've been Shooting long range. Most of the animals I've killed with the bergers I say--"well it is dead--but boy bullet performance was not perfect". I usually find a shred of a jacket and maybe a little melted lead. It always worried me a little. Well long story short--e axis lived through the shot. The bullet broke up on the shoulder--and the deer had to be put down later (2 weeks) before he was found and put down. Berger's shoot good--I am not sold on there preformance any more. I will choose to shoot better bullets at game. Accubonds, LRX, hammer, even the ELD-x bullets look better than any VLD-hunting I've shot...now with that being said I still might use a 250 or a 300 grain EOL hunter out of my 338 Norma but most of the time that is overkill for a 150 lb whitetail, 300 lb Aoudad , or 220 lb axis.

Berger's shoot good--I am not sold on there preformance any more.

Duly noted, Sir! Thanks for sharing that. I like using Berger bullets for my target work, but have yet to try them in any flavor (vld/ch) for hunting purposes. Losing an animal like that is definitely a little gut-wrenching....

I shoot 168 vld classic hunter in my 284 and it shoots very well and performs great. I have used ELDx on several animals and will not use them any more for hunting but they do shoot

Classic hunter. Bergers are vlds. But yes classic hunter. Im thinking about switching to the LRAB though in 168 if my rifle will shoot them

I've had a custom 700 .280AI with a 24" Brux #3 fluted barrel for about 10 years. I killed 4 elk with it the first 3 years I had it and haven't shot it at all since. It's boringly accurate with 140 NAB's and RL22 with great speed (lots of groups in the .1's and .2's) It will shoot the Nosler factory 140AB load at .5 all day. Clicked on this thread as I just pulled it out yesterday to try some heavier bullets as I've been using a 28 Nosler and 175LRAB's the past few years on elk and moose and love the high BC and terminal performance. I'm going to try the 150-168's in it. I don't like Bergers but will try LRAB's and ELDX and maybe the LRX.

Morning Gents! Sitting here this morning next to the wood-stove looking out at the snow and pondering 7mm hunting bullet selection. I've got a .280AI being put together by my Smith and I'd like to hear from you guys which 7mm bullet you like for hunting and why. Berger? Sierra? Nosler? Hornady? Any others? Let's hear it....Thanks!
Currently have 3 280AI's. They like the following:
168G Berger VLD (RL22)
160G Nosler Accubond (H4831)
145G Barnes LRX (IMR4350)

I'm shooting the 162 eldm outta my 280ai with great results. It flat out performs on paper and game. Shot my mue deer with it last year at 656 yards and it killed him DRT. Stuck in the hide on the far side in a perfect mushroom. Great bullet for sure!

I've taken 2 deer with 168 ALBR. 1 at around 650 yds and one at 200. 2800 FPS at the muzzle and pleased with performance, devastating. Never recovered a bullet though.

I was shooting the Berger vld at the same velocity but after putting a lot of holes in animals (that eventually died) I decided that bullet was not for me.

Rebarreling with a 1:8.4 twist with the hope of getting the 168 ABLR to shoot well. If I was only punching paper I'd stick with the Berger because I sure did get them to shoot well.

I was shooting the Berger vld at the same velocity but after putting a lot of holes in animals (that eventually died) I decided that bullet was not for me.

Oh, man.....that sucks! Beginning to sound like Bergers may not be worth the risk as far as hunting goes. So far, the Noslers and Hornady's seem to be the favorites here....interesting!!

I shoot the 180 berger out of my 7 saum and it is absolutely devastating. Shot my whitetail at 555 this year and it destroyed his insides. Killed lots of coyotes with the same bullet and it **** near blows them in half. I have had great luck with the 180 berger hunting but i have also seen the 140 berger out of a 6.5x47 lapua not perform. Penciled in and dime size exit.

Ive had sketchy results with the eldx and will not hunt with them anymore. It does sound like the eldm do quite well. I am I the process of swithching everything to the Noslers now

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.