Preferred .280AI hunting bullet?

If your shooting only to about 300 yards and dont have a long throat for the heavier bullets, RL 23 with 140 NP at 3200fps+ is a great combination.

That would probably be the longest shot I have on my property....maybe to 500 on some friends properties. If memory serves the Criterion barrel I purchased was designated ".280AI Match" for having a longer throat.....oddly enough I think their 6.5x55 Swede offering is designated "Match" for having a shorter throat. Someone more familiar with Criterion may need to correct me on that as this is my first run with one of their Savage pre-fits.

That's some pretty good shooting AND load developement with numbers that low!
This rifle shoots like this always the shooter though has his days when he shows up and others where he didn't lol.
This is why I use a chrono vs shooting groups now for load developement. Any rifle will do this if you give it the load it wants to shoot. I did load development for a shop in the 80's without a chronograph. I would shoot groups with different charges. Once I found something interesting I'd shoot @ 300yds to see if it stayed together some did some didn't. Now I know why. It is really hard to argue with. I've done this with more than 25 rifles in the last 2 years. This method has produced the low sd's across a wide margin of cartridges. Not just the easy ones. I have a load for an 18" pump gun in 06 that can humble you quickly

That would probably be the longest shot I have on my property....maybe to 500 on some friends properties. If memory serves the Criterion barrel I purchased was designated ".280AI Match" for having a longer throat.....oddly enough I think their 6.5x55 Swede offering is designated "Match" for having a shorter throat. Someone more familiar with Criterion may need to correct me on that as this is my first run with one of their Savage pre-fits.
Easy enough to check with the hornady oal guage. Your going to like the crieterion barrel. They use to be the button rifle division of Kreiger for oem. They know how to build a shooting sob of a pipe!!!

Okay.....so it looks like this so far (I think):
Berger vld x 2
Hornady ELDX x 3
Nosler Accubonds x 4
Nosler Partitions x 2
Sierra GC/GK x 2
Barnes x 2
Hammers x 1

Alright. Thanks Gents!

I started w/ 140 ABs which shot the best w/ great speed. I am still working on the 160s. They are getting about the same groups but still going to try another powder or two to get the speed I am looking for. ABs are normally somewhere near the top of my list when starting w/ a new round.

Morning Gents! Sitting here this morning next to the wood-stove looking out at the snow and pondering 7mm hunting bullet selection. I've got a .280AI being put together by my Smith and I'd like to hear from you guys which 7mm bullet you like for hunting and why. Berger? Sierra? Nosler? Hornady? Any others? Let's hear it....Thanks!

I'm working with the game changer now...130s in my 6.5x47 and 165 in a 280 AI...I think I might have found a bullet I like...just need to see how it will preform on game... wish they would do a 180-185 7mm game changer

The build I have at the smith will be a 284 Winchester, but that should be in the same class. I've used 140 Accubonds and 150 ABLRs in the 7mm-08 with good success. The bullets I planned my 284 build around are the 168 ABLR and the 162 ELDX. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 160 Accubond either.

The build I have at the smith will be a 284 Winchester, but that should be in the same class. I've used 140 Accubonds and 150 ABLRs in the 7mm-08 with good success. The bullets I planned my 284 build around are the 168 ABLR and the 162 ELDX. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 160 Accubond either.
Very interested in this topic

Seems like Nosler (Accubond/ABLR), Sierra Game Changer and Hornady ELD-X are at the top of the list. I'm a little surprised that so far nothing has been mentioned about the Berger Classic Hunter...????

Last edited:
My LAW likes Nosler Trophy Grade 140 Accubonds and Hornady ELD-X 162 grain factory loads. The Law shot the Nosler Trophy Grade 160 Nosler Partitions at 1", the above two loads all 3 bullets touched. I'm getting into hand loading and would like to try the 168 Berger. Good luck!

my Remington 7600 carbine in 3006 deer loves 165 NBT bullets with 55 grs IMR 4350. it shoots 3 shot groups like this with that load.

Attachments

• DSCN0589.JPG
    DSCN0589.JPG
    356.8 KB · Views: 115
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.