Preference points

trueblue

If you have a child that will be hunting in about 15 years, what states would you buy preference points in?
Also, would like recommendations on the best units to hunt that would require a lot of preference points.

Buying for the child. Want to build up preference points for him so he will be able to hunt prime areas that require a lot of points to gain access to.

Are you buying for you or the child?
Depends on the state.in CO you cant apply for big game until they are 12 years old. So no banking points for your new born baby
Is there any state that you can do that in? All the western states that I am aware of you must have at least a Hunter's Education card and be of hunting age to purchase preference points. I have a 5 year old and if there's an opportunity to start buying points for her I'd love to know what it is.

When he gets old enough, start buying preference points for CO, WY and Utah. There are a lot of opportunities for youth hunts in most western states, so you should have a very good opportunity to draw a tag that way

Don't forget Arizona. Great hunting there as well. Need to be at least 12 years old in California to hunt big game. Excluding bighorn sheep. I think that is 16. Not positive though.

There is no state that allows this. You have to be a legal youth hunter in the state your buying points in. Their youth points do however transfer when they turn 18. So start buying as soon as they can legally hunt.

There is no state that allows this. You have to be a legal youth hunter in the state your buying points in. Their youth points do however transfer when they turn 18. So start buying as soon as they can legally hunt.

I'm pretty sure you are wrong. There are a couple states that allow you to purchase bonus points for your children without having passed hunters ed. MT and WA are a couple if I remember correctly.

Do you mean the apprentice program or buying preference points? The apprentice program allows kids 10-15 to hunt with an over 21 aged adult. Ages vary by state.

This is a great topic and glad you brought this up.

I have kids in the hopper for points in the next few years so I'm in the same boat as you.

From my perspective (gaining points in multiple states 14 yrs), the advantage comes from the special area youth hunt opportunities. In some states, youth's have an advantage on premium unit hunts.

I think the costs continue to rise so whether or not it's financially worth it compared to buying a hunt is yet to be determined.

I'm going to start down the path of point accumulation only because it will give them options in the future that I never had. My plan is to get them started early and put in for the premium units until they are old enough to decide.

It's hard to predict the "where" in this scenario and also species dependent. I prefer to apply in states that I can get to in a short days drive and units I'm familiar with.

My 2 cents anyway.

In Arizona a parent or a grandparent can draw a hunt and then donate it to a child or grandchild. Or a family member can build points then apply a joint application and average the points.

Arizona also has youth hunts that are price friendly for non residents. I believe Idaho also has a hunt mentor program that is price friendly for non residents.

I am so intrigued with this thread and glad it was brought up. As dirtytough mentioned I am wrong. I called Montana Game and Fish and they do allow you to purchase "future" points for your children. Your children have to be 1 year in age.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.