Preference: 1 “go-to” or “a tool for every use”?

I have several rifles for different jobs. But my "do all" rifle is a Featherweight 30-06. I'm currently looking at 7mm RM in the 10lb and under set up to either augment the 06 or replace it.

Cooper 6.5x284, 10.5#. Used almost exclusively for 10 years with dozens of game animals taken from 100-1200 yards......Lost count of the varmints. While I do have a bunch of rifles, IMO, I think there is something to be said about "one" rifle(handgun, bow, shotgun, etc.). In addition to building a high level of consistency and confidence with my go-to rifle, after few years in, accurate shooting becomes a mindless exercise. Having used the same load over this period, after a few years in I didn't bother much with a ballistic calculator(chart/turret) for drops/wind dope for most all but the longest shots.

A separate thread got me wondering (it was about ideal carry weight)...

some folks appear to have 1 rifle for the majority of their hunting while others prefer a specific arsenal that they can pull from depending on quarry, terrain, access, season and shooting distance.

I'm limited by budget (and time to get familiar with multiple rifles) so I ascribe to the theory that you should "fear the man with one rifle" (in that he's probably very familiar, and therefore very good, with it. Last year I killed 4 animals with the same rifle, from 120 lbs to 650 (best guess).... I'm getting very familiar with it.

So, what's your PREFERENCE? List simply cartridge and weight of the rifle(s) that consistently get "the nod".

Me: 7RM at 8.5 lbs all-up
I think I mentioned it the thread you reference above - I am down to 3 rifles for all my hunting needs. I was up to 15 a couple years ago and there were way to many guns not getting shot or used. I sold and consolidated in the the three below. I am not old or dying or anything (at least I hope not I am in my late 30's). Just wanting to be practical.

Rem 700 varmint 223 with a boyds varmint pro coyote stock and a vortex PST Gen 2 5-25x50 FFP scope. Close to 14lbs with harris 12-25 bipod. Its my varmint gun and there is some sentimental value with this one. It has killed alot of stuff.

Bergara Premier Approach 6mm CM with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56. With the 13.5-27 bipod its 11lbs. Purpose is coyotes and pigs.

Christensen BA Tactical 6.5 PRC with a Leupold VX6HD 4-24x52. 9lbs. This is my big game rifle - elk, deer, black bears etc.

6mm and 6.5 rifles for PRS and long range comp matches. 14-16 lbs
6.5 creed light weight with can for saddle scabbard and back country pack in hunts. 8 lbs
6.5 PRC, chassis with folder and can for anything and everything except comp. Its my go to rifle. 10 lbs
6.5-284, chassis, just fun fun to shoot long range. 12.5lbs
204 for fun and vermin. 8 lbs
30-06.... safe queen, but a gift from my dad, ain't goin nowherez
I sold my other rifles but I build 4-5 a year for others. from 6mm creeds to a 300 PRC. Done several 7 mags.

I am a firm believer in having at least two rifles with me when I am hunting big game. So now I carry my 25-06 Ruger 77mkii @ about 8.5# and my 30/338 Win Mag custom 03 Springfield @ 12.75# for goats and deer. Same 30/338 Win Mag and 338 Lapua Savage 111 @ about 12# for elk/moose.

A separate thread got me wondering (it was about ideal carry weight)...

some folks appear to have 1 rifle for the majority of their hunting while others prefer a specific arsenal that they can pull from depending on quarry, terrain, access, season and shooting distance.

I'm limited by budget (and time to get familiar with multiple rifles) so I ascribe to the theory that you should "fear the man with one rifle" (in that he's probably very familiar, and therefore very good, with it. Last year I killed 4 animals with the same rifle, from 120 lbs to 650 (best guess).... I'm getting very familiar with it.

So, what's your PREFERENCE? List simply cartridge and weight of the rifle(s) that consistently get "the nod".

Me: 7RM at 8.5 lbs all-up

Mine: One rifle and one cartridge for all big game hunting, and occasional varmint hunting, since 1990.....9 pound 6 ounce (scoped, loaded, slung) .375 AI (24" barrel, no brake)

Wife's: One rifle and cartridge for all big game hunting, and occasional varmint hunting, since 1996..... 8 pound 15 ounce (scoped, loaded, slung) .338 WM 24" barrel, no brake). memtb

A feller is never got the wrong rifle if he's carrying a 30-06 with a strong 165+ gr bullet. Mountain "sporter" kicks a bit but you never feel it or hear it in the field--prefer to carry light. That said, I'm really reaching often for the Fierce Firearm CT Carbon Edge (6.5 Lb. rifle with optics) in 7mm-08 shooting 145 gr Barnes LRX. I have 22 Rifles in the safe and that aught six and aught eight are my "go to's". I think same case could be made for a .308 Win for NorAm game and plains game (maybe light for brown bear). I don't own a .308...hmmm...guess I need to go shopping.:)

I downsized drastically. I kept a .243 for the kids, picked up a RARanch for suppressed hunting, and my 30-06 (8.5-9#) that gets the work.

I'm with you. I didn't have time to mess with others. That's also why I swapped to SWFA scopes. I messed with a Vortex warranty, and even though they addressed it more that adequately, I lost time getting the rifle back up and running, which was more important.

I want one set up that I can grab and KNOW will work every time.

Only other rifle I have planned is a true mountain rifle. Leaning towards a Tikka 6.5 cm (possibly switch barrel) or maybe a Sig Cross.

I have shifted into the "one gun to hunt them all" over time, but it is more out of convenience and budget than anything. I have settled on a m70 .270 wsm that should take care of anything I would actually hunt. I have a prs/target rig that I can tinker with to keep me busy, but if I get a chance to hunt I have a verified load/rifle ready to go.

I am a fan of the..300 win. I have used it to shoot prairie dogs to eland. You can load it with just about any type of 30 cal bullet and brass isn't overly expensive. Also, in a pinch you can find it on most sporting goods Shelves in the US and even some PH's in Africa have a supply if your luggage should happen to go missing

I like having a selection of rifles but I have gotten away from having multiple loads for each rifle. I work up a load for that rifle for it's intended purpose, develop the dope and then use it. If I need a lighter or heavier bullet I pick another rifle.

Among my current inventory of rifles is one rifle that could service as my ONE ' All Round' RIFLE. It's a New Ultra Light Arms ( NULA) 300 Win Mag, 22" barrel with a Swarovski Z3 Rifle Scope 4-12 x 50.
Total weight is 6.25 lbs. I've taken 4 elk, 1 muley, 1 pronghorn and 10 whitetail. All various weights with Nosler Partitions. I love the stock and I have complete confidence it's ability to place a bullet where it was aimed. This is not a long range rifle, my max range with this rifle is 450-500 yards. See photo of target at 300 yards.

I guess for me its about "where" I will be hunting as much as what I'm hunting. I built my two deer rifles for the purpose of going in thick and heavy cover, short, to not hang on low limbs, light, to climb into trees to be able to see. Short and fast to point and quick to get on game, so short action, 20" barreled, 7lb guns in 260 and 7mm-08. Like em' both and both use the same model Zeiss scope cause I'm used to it. One ready if the other takes a hit or gets knocked around for the next days hunt (ones also better for nasty weather).

If chucks or coyotes are the game than a heavy 26" barrel varmint gun that pushes 11lb. My 22-250 is a flat shooting heavy in the bags gun that will do the trick. Lug it to a spot and set-up, different shooting entirely.

I'm working on one that will be in the middle, heavy but shorter barrel, around 9lb, and caliber is still up for discussion maybe 284, 260AI, or 6.5/284. A field - powerline - or large open swale gun. Don't hunt these areas as much but want a gun for it for those times. All done but buying a barrel, a criterion in 24"heavy hunting profile. As you can see not a one gun answer for me : )

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.