Predictions for The next rifle caliber/ cartridge trend

I think all calibers have been busted wide open. Always hard to beat the 30 cal, they can be loaded up or down to do anything. But more importantly, when will more efficient propellants be designed. The powders have improved over years but I'm sure there is plenty of room to make better designed powders for each caliber.

As far as new cartridges go, I'm expecting that the 257 and 277 will finally see a lot more heavier, high BC/SD bullet options that require faster twist barrels. And that should spur an array of new cartridge options from lower recoil options with short actions similar to 6CM, 6.5CM, 7-08 as well barrel burners like the PRC's, Weatherby magnums, etc. I'm hoping that this trend continues into the 243/6mm options as well. The 257, 264 and 277 are ideal options for low-medium range whitetail rifle hunting which is the heart of the hunting rifle mass market.

The 6.5 has made people realize you don't need a magnum to kill game, especially with today's improved bullets. I think the smaller calibers have a lot of potential. I hunt javelina with a 7mm TCU (necked up .223), with a velocity of about 1800 fps. It is astounding how fast that will drop a javelina. I picked 7mm for all my rifles, because at the time, it had the best B.C. of any caliber (in a reasonable weight). I might pick a 6.5 mm today instead, and if I wanted to shoot a different rifle for deer and elk, maybe a 6mm with a high B.C. for deer.

I was aware of the military opening up for bids in a 6.8/270cal. If memory serves me correctly, they supply what bullets they wanted to shoot to the three prospective contracts. Sig being one of those. I believe it was 140gr bullets, which supprised me why they went with that weight instead of heavier.

weight savings for the person that has to carry a combat load and it's a good balance for speed and accuracy to zip through body armor at short to medium distances

Would like to hear your thoughts on what direction you think the next trend for caliber size & cartridge will go. I don't want to start this thread for bashing the 6.5 creedmoor but since it's the latest most popular caliber for new rifle sales among average shooters & hunters, what are predictions for another caliber & cartridge to come that will have as much commerical success as the 6.5 creedmoor? I realize the 6.5cm is here to stay and may take years for something of this commercial popularity to come back around. I know that the 6.5 does have its limitations.
Key points for it's success with the average hunter/shooter:
#1 Most of the time accuracy in many factory rifles with factory ammo is good.
#2 low recoil which is acceptable for all hunters: Elderly, youth, females, etc...
#3 affordable ammunition
#4 many economy priced rifles chambered in 6.5cm
#5 6.5 projectiles high BC( wind bucking capability & efficientcy)
#6 suitable for most commonly hunted medium sized game.

Again I state that this is not a thread for if you like or dislike the 6.5 creedmoor but I'm just using it for a basis of what would bring as much commercial success to a different caliber/ cartridge. I don't want this to turn into 40 pages of bashing or defending the 6.5 creedmoor till death due you part because those post have been done many times and the dead horse has been beat many times over. Thank you.

The 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC have a bunch of potential, plus, some of the 7mm are getting a strong foot hold. Otherwise ???

6.5wsm. Its a simple neck down from a 270wsm. With bergers new 156eol and others like matrix that have up to a 160 grain for it really is hard to imagine anything in its class that can compete.
Should be able to push those heavy bullets at 3050-3100 in a 24-26inch tube. Minimal recoil in a hunting weight rifle. Efficient powder column.
I can't for the life of me figure out why Winchester hasn't introduced it yet. My guess is that they already know it would be so amazing that it would make all the .25 and .277 cartridges a thing of the past.
I know it sounds like I'm talking smack but run the numbers on the ballistics and you'll see.

I never thought the 6.5CM would be the next big thing. Where's the over-lord velocity? Weatherby & Lazzeroni showed the world we must just want more & more speed. So how does this under 2800fps 'slug' of a cartridge take over the world? BC! It's as if people suddenly discovered BC, and then it became gospel & religion. Who knew!? So .22 cal with super high BC must be 'what's next'...

But predicting the public is like trying to understand why women need 50 pairs of shoes; it's just beyond the power of mere men.

I think that the super long & heavy, high BC .224" bullets will be all the rage. This is going to spawn the next controversy on all the forums about "is it, or isn't it big enough to shoot deer with." This will get everybody all riled up, just like the way they go after the guys who hunt elk with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Same story on a different size scale - but the rifle builders and bullet makers will go to town fueling the fire, and we'll all have fun with it.

I also think that we'll see the "gap-fillers" jump on board with .277- and .257-inch bullets as long as a pencil, as has already been pointed out in this thread. This is also a good thing, and there will be something for everybody. The only thing that will be consistent across the board is this - bullets that are long & heavy for caliber, with high BC's, and fast-twist barrels to shoot them through. This is the concept that is taking over in the hunting & shooting industry, and the optics & accessories will be developed to feed this frenzy. Everybody benefits in the end.

I think something in .277 is just waiting to explode. Just needs a builder with the proper mind set of 8 twist to work a heavier bullet.
The new Nosler 165 grain ABLR bullet should really generate lot of excitement in this caliber, particularly because of the need for more twist in the rifling which is now not available.

WHY is everyone always looking for that Super Bullet to make up for their lack of SKILL ????????? Learn to shoot what you have rather than chasing that Rainbow for the pot of Gold.
I don't argue with this statement. But you know how human nature is, most people are looking for the latest and greatest. Companies are in business to make money and they are abliged to sell you the latest & greatest. Sometimes it's the greatest and sometimes it's not.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts