predator rifle

partisan1911

I have a 3.2-17x USO scope in my safe that needs a home. I think a .243 will put this scope to good use. Being a military guy I can get discounts from a few different sources so I was going to slowly gather the components over the next year.

I was thinking Stiller Predator action $725 , timney trigger $100, badger bottom metal $335.

Not sure about the stock but I want this to be a walking predator rifle. Can anyone recommend a stock and where to get it at the best price?

I figured when it comes time for a barrel I will have to send the action to a gunsmith to get it done right but are there any barrel makers that give military discounts better than a gunsmith can get? At any rate gunsmith choice of manufacturer of course but I was thinking varmint countour, fluted, 20", muzzle brake. I plan on shooting berger bullets so I will go with thier recommended twist. I have not decided on bullet weight yet but will 20" get me adequate powder burn on a standard .243 charge?

A 20" barrel will give acceptable velocity and is handy, but would be more of a match with a trim rifle as well.

The build you are planning is on the heavy end, especially with the USO, so adding a few inches of barrel would not add much weight or take much away from the overall feel of the build.

So it depends on range...longer range...longer barrel.

22" works well for a 243 but is still a little short to wring out all the round can do.

TC

I was looking at a hunting rifle with a stiller predator action for sale on another website and the seller states the action has been trued and blueprinted? I assume buying one of these actions it should not need any additional attention.

IMHO I would consider a 24" barrel. Only your smith can tell ya whether or not the action would need additional work. Thank you for your service. What branch of service are you in?

I have been in the Army 17years now, another 6 and I can throw in the towel.

It is a shame if a custom action would need additional work to tighten the tolerances. I saw on another website that once a year surgeon does a group purchase that brings thier RSR round actions to $688 an thier bottom metal for $340. Maybe I will wait for that to come around and by the stock, barrel, and trigger first.

I have been looking at the mcmillan edge stock to keep the weight reasonable but I am not sure if the barrel channel will be wide enough for a varmint contour barrel. I will have to do some calling around next week.

I want the recoil to be minimal so I can reasonably cycle the bolt quick enough and get a second shot. If I go with a 25" medium varmint barrel with brake what weight bullet will allow a quick follow up shot?

Last edited:
in alaska i would go with regular .243. i have killed over 250 coyotes. the greatest portion with a .243. i would use a 70 grain balistic tip or an 85 sierra bthp. all the .243 hunting bullets are deadly on coyotes and the 55 grain would kick the least.

part i reread. your post. with a stiller action and a krieger barrel no need for a fast second shot. that is an incredilby accurate combination. with a vais brake on a 243 you will have virtually no recoil. it doen't matter the bullet weight. my 7mm mag i feels like a 22-250 .

I purchased the surgeon action today. I was thinking low recoil for multiple target opportunity. What bullet weight for lowest recoil but still longe range capable? Next purchase is barrel. I figured 24" barrel, varmint contour. Not sure on twist yet? My 338 has a broughten and has been really accurate.

Congratulations on buying the action, what caliber? If 243 I don't think recoil will be an issue with any bullets available for that caliber.

I plan on sticking with standard .243 WIN

I see you can load up to 115gr but I was thinking a little flatter shooting weight. More than likely a berger bullet since I could use them on predators and deer once I move back down south. Recoil is important so I can watch the hit through the scope.

For a stock I was looking at a mcm standard hunting style and buy an eagle stock pack to make up the comb height difference. I am not sure what all the stock fills are so I need to call them.

Depending on what range you plan on shooting the 75 grain nosler varmint bullets are deadly accurate in my 243's and very fast and flat shooting. Out to 500 yards they do well. The wind jerks then around pretty good when the range gets long, recoil is insignificant. With a brake you could easily watch your hits. If you go heavier than the 75 I wouldn't bet on it. I shoot the 107 matchkings a good bit and recoil will take you off target much more than the 75's in a light rifle. If your shooting over 500 though you may have to go with the matchkings. They shoot extremely well at 1000 yard targets.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.