Precision Scope Mounting For The Working Rifle

ADMIN

Administrator
ADMIN submitted a new Article:

Precision Scope Mounting For The Working Rifle

Precision Scope Mounting for the Working Rifle.
By Jim See of Elite Accuracy

Everybody seems to be an expert when it comes to putting stuff together but a novice when it comes to diagnosing zero shifts, and accuracy problems with their rifles. I decided long ago I was going to make my ability to diagnose problems much easier by applying some principals I learned from some of the best Rifle Builders and Shooters in the country.

It's...

Read more about this article here...

Wow, good info. Never thought about bedding rings like that before but makes a ton of sense and adds to the total precision package. Thanks a bunch Jim.

After reading this article , I presume that this epoxy bedding would prevent my scope from moving slightly forward from recoil of a .340 Weatherby Magnum .
My rifle would shoot the first 2 shots into same hole at 200 yards and then the group would begin opening up more on each following shot . I was baffled , checking base first , then rings for proper torque , mounting another scope , re-zeroing , and then getting the exact same results . I checked stock bedding , barrel free-float clearance , and weighing all reloading components exactly . Still the same results .
Then I got the idea of checking for scope slippage in the rings . Using a pencil , I marked the scope tube at front and rear of each ring to check for movement . After firing 6 - 8 shots , and watching the shot grouping open , I looked at my marks on the scope tube and found that the scope had moved .050" or slightly more forward from it's original location .
Weatherby Mark V action , Near Mfg. one piece 25 MOA rail , Leupold Mark IV rings , and Leupold Mark IV 4.5 - 14 x 40 LRT , 30mm tube scope with weight at 19 oz. , if I am correct in remembering Leupold specs . Douglas Premium XX barrel with Holland muzzle brake . Overall weight of rifle/scope combo is 10 pounds . 250 gr. bullet @ 3020 FPS ( Magnetospeed ).
Would this slight amount of movement change the point of impact noticeably ?

So how much space do you need between the rings and scope? Are the rings opened up to allow room for the epoxy?
You attach the scope ring bottoms to the rail and torque to spec, then dry fit the scope into the rings. If the scope falls in place with no binding and slides back and forth in the rings with light pressure you have enough clearance. If the scope binds or sticks to the rings then I would Lap some clearance into the ring bottoms before bedding.

After reading this article , I presume that this epoxy bedding would prevent my scope from moving slightly forward from recoil of a .340 Weatherby Magnum .
My rifle would shoot the first 2 shots into same hole at 200 yards and then the group would begin opening up more on each following shot . I was baffled , checking base first , then rings for proper torque , mounting another scope , re-zeroing , and then getting the exact same results . I checked stock bedding , barrel free-float clearance , and weighing all reloading components exactly . Still the same results .
Then I got the idea of checking for scope slippage in the rings . Using a pencil , I marked the scope tube at front and rear of each ring to check for movement . After firing 6 - 8 shots , and watching the shot grouping open , I looked at my marks on the scope tube and found that the scope had moved .050" or slightly more forward from it's original location .
Weatherby Mark V action , Near Mfg. one piece 25 MOA rail , Leupold Mark IV rings , and Leupold Mark IV 4.5 - 14 x 40 LRT , 30mm tube scope with weight at 19 oz. , if I am correct in remembering Leupold specs . Douglas Premium XX barrel with Holland muzzle brake . Overall weight of rifle/scope combo is 10 pounds . 250 gr. bullet @ 3020 FPS ( Magnetospeed ).
Would this slight amount of movement change the point of impact noticeably ?

Yes bedding those rings would make a difference in scope slipping.

So the layer of epoxy must be really thin. I have a lot to learn about doing things the right way! I guess I have been lucky that I have not had issues with scopes moving before.

Very interesting. Never thought about bedding the scope, but it makes a lot of sense. What is your preferred "spray release agent"?
Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.