Precision Reloading Equipment Buyer's Guide (Non press related)

Prwillard2

Gentlemen,

Trying to up my game on my reloads and curious what everyone uses for their precision reloading tools for shooting out to 1k on steel and paper.

I've got a Forster Co-Ax press, Redding Precision Match Dies/Forster Bench Rest dies so this isn't press related.

However, I'm looking for the other items people use to ensure their reloads are as accurate as possible. Items I'm looking at purchasing are:
-Neck turning tool -- currently looking at the K&M Neck Turning Kit
-Concentricity gauge -- have seen quite a few, but unsure of which one will tell me case AND ammo runout. and is easy to read/use.
-Primer pocket unifomer (is this necessary with Lapua/Alpha munitions brass)?
-Case trimmer (currently using a Sinclair, but not a fan of how the brass is held and am thinking about getting a Giraud)
-Scale (currently have a RCBS chargemaster pro) do I really need one that's $1000 if I want a good digital one? (Looking at an FX120i with auto trickler and auto throw)

I've got the RCBS bench mounting priming system for priming and love it for it's speed, but unsure if this may introduce extra variables. I've also got the Lyman case prep express I use for deburr/chamfer.

I'm no pro but use the Sinclair primer pocket uniformed. I have a Giraud three way but would like the $500 trimmer.

The Sinclair concentricity gauge has worked very well for me, it is very easy to use and will show case and loaded ammo concentricity.
My A&D FX 300i scales have been amazing, it is very reassuring to see the readout alter by 0.02 grains when a single kernel of IMR 4350 is dropped into the pan. One thing I would suggest if you are buying an expensive scale is to also buy a very accurate calibration weight. I have found if I move my scales they need to be re-calibrated. I also have the RCBS bench mounted priming tool but if I have the time I prefer to use the priming tool in the top of my Co-Ax press as it seats the primers to a very uniform depth.
Top of the line gear costs a lot but it seems to last for a very long time and generally it is a joy to use.

For high precision as long as you are ok hand turning KM as with its micro adj and cutter angle it works great.

For a concentricity gauge I think of the ones be I have tried Accuracy One is the best and the one I chose to get.

I still use either the sinclair or the cheap lee hand primer seater. I have found that unless you are going to have a pressure gauge attached seater they give the best feel for whats going on with primer tension.

A good electronic scale is helpful as well for sorting once all prep is done.

Do not skimp on the calipers Starret around $200-$250 IIRC they have 0.01mm res and 0.02mm (0.00078") accurracy 150mm length (5.9") The more $$ one in that price range has a data port which I did not feel the need for.

Prwillard2, concerning concentricity I use and really like the Forster Co-Ax Case Inspector. Measures neck thickness variation, brass and bullet runout very well.
Also, I would recommend a headspace gauge of some sort. I have the Larry Willis Headspace Gauge for measuring shoulder bump and it also measures seating depth as well.
I also use a Redding primer-pocket uniformer as well as a K&M flash-hole tool, but admittedly I've found that neither are necessary on Lapua brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.