Precision or velocity?

Jspeed

Just completed a deep cleaning of chamber and bore in my father's 6GT... I understand the barrel now needs to be "fouled in"...in the meantime, should I expect erratic groups, erratic velocity, or both? Thanks

Normally I get a one or two shot drop in velocity which may or may not cause a POI shift. After a couple shots velocity is back to normal and precision is as well.

This has been hashed out many times. You have 2 groups of people. People that hunt/shoot clean barrels and others that hunt/shoot with fouled barrels.
IME... factory barrels almost always need to be fouled to group well. Even many custom barrels need this as well. There are a few that are fairly insensitive to being clean or fouled.

You'll need to shoot the gun to determine how it likes to perform.

Most of my guns take 6-12 shots before they bughole again after a deep clean.

If I'm understanding this correctly, it's the velocity that may or may not be affected....and any poor groupings would simply be a direct result of poor ES? All else equal, of course.

Assuming you are shooting 100 yds, variance in ES doesn't have a huge effect. Bench guns shoot bugholes with surprising ESs. I think it's more about getting the bore smoothed back out.

Has anyone experienced this to be less of an issue with copper bullets? Its bee my exp and could be shear coincidence he copper bullets cold bores seem to not be affected? I am in he fouling group and still rather use lead

I was just planning on shooting a couple of groups of five rounds over a chronograph this morning...gonna shoot to at least 300, maybe as far as 500....trying to wrap up load development on this gun and just didn't know if my results would be reliable...

Here is my 22 Creedmoor after cleaning from past weekend hunt in rain.
The first shot is under the penny

Attachments

• 69AC7AB1-405F-467B-9571-5C71C9A7A22C.jpeg
    69AC7AB1-405F-467B-9571-5C71C9A7A22C.jpeg
    321 KB · Views: 155
As luck would have it, just got my 6x47 Shehane back from the smith. Had the action re-bedded. Here's exacy what you're talking about.
5 shot group. First one out, next four cut a ragged hole with 105VLDs.
4 shot group measured .267

Attachments

• 20210128_141550.jpg
    20210128_141550.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 136
Factory Sako 6ppc I once had - should never have sold it - would make about 100 rounds before groups started opening up. After a dose of Sweet's, about 2 shots was all that was needed to be back "right".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.