Precision Micrometer die sets - your recommendations

Use RL26 and don't look back. You'll get near 6.5-284 velocities with it in the Creed (I'm getting 2950 fps and my 6.5-284 Norma is only 50 fps faster with a different powder). Most people have found that the ELDX works well at 0.020 off the lands. Personally, I set every seating depth for best concentricity by having the bullet boat tail/base junction even with the brass neck/shoulder junction. The ammo has very little run out (0.001-0.002) or none at all. Very rarely do I have to mess with seating depth when I set it up like this.

Reloder 26 is on the dang hard to come by list IIRC.

... I have learned that the "standard" out of the box stem in the bullet crimping die is no good for the ELD-X round. The bullet bottoms out in the stem causing the plastic/nylon tip to crush and become deformed. ...

I noticed you mentioned using the "bullet crimping" die to seat your bullets. I don't crimp any of my bottleneck rifle rounds except some 5.56 range ammo. If you are trying to seat and crimp with the one die, it has been my experience that consistent seating depth can suffer. Either stop crimping or use a separate crimp die. Best of luck.

Bob

Just my two cents as a newbie to the site. Take a look at the Lock N Load bullet comparator set as well. Your dies may be fine ? but the comparator does a fine job providing measurement with a quality caliper.

Man there's a lot of testosterone excreting itself all over this post, I think we should do our best to honestly answer the questions as posed, most else is not helpful. I've been loading for about 45 years, in the '70's I used a Lee Target Loader with a mallet, shot a three round .24 group at Bailey's House of Guns with my Remington 788 in 22-250 using the same case and reloading it at the bench each shot. All that to say that well made dies are important, I haven't found Hornady dies to be well made from a tolerance perspective. I have Wilson, Forster, Redding and 40 year old RCBS dies that when set up properly produce some excellent results. I shot a .12 group with my Wilson's in a .308, using my Forster's I've shot .2 groups at 200. I was going to send some cases to Whidden for my 6.5x55 AI but bought Redding and saved $200. They work just fine. If I were still competing I would get some Whidden dies built for a specific chamber for that anal 'nth degree and be very content with my purchase. Cost is relative, if I feel something has enough overall value for me, I don't worry about cost. I've come to like Forster benchrest dies over most others, I find that they size the web a littler better and the finish excellent. I don't find the micrometer that helpful (I have some Redding Competition dies) so I don't buy them but would never be critical for someone liking them and buying them as they do reduce repeated measuring for COAL. I saw one comment on this post where the contributor said that COAL was not important, I say that it is because that's where consistent jump comes into play. Your personal goals are also a very important component of this post, if you want to shoot tiny near caliber sized groups in competition it's one thing, if you want accurate hunting ammunition it is something else that requires no where near the time and money. Remember that all of these comments, including mine are people's opinions and should be weighted accordingly. Good luck and enjoy!

Rcbs Match seating die is really nice. Has a little cut out you drop bullet in and it self aligns, no more pinched fingers. It's been very reliable. i also have hornady match with micrometer and it comes with an extra stem specific to ELDs. I like it but the cutout bullet drop in from RCBS is just too nice. Hope that answers you question on which micrometer die... as far as comparators and shoulder bumps and all the other stuff, well that stuff is great too.

The Hornady New Dimension Match dies ($89) are working well for me. The finish is not as nice as the Redding competition dies but I ordered these to try and they are consistent and produce very accurate ammunition. You need the $15 143/147 grain seater plug also. Midway says there is a rebate on the dies. All made by Hornady so I bet this will seat their bullets and would take care of your problem for a reasonable expense.
Thanks for getting the subject back on track... :)

I am fairly new to reloading and I am currently trying to find that "best" recipe for Hornady's 143 ELD-X for my Savage 6.5 CM. I have learned that the "standard" out of the box stem in the bullet crimping die is no good for the ELD-X round. The bullet bottoms out in the stem causing the plastic/nylon tip to crush and become deformed. So with a little help, I found the appropriate die stem that stops on the Ogive. Yet I am still having issues getting my rounds loaded to a consistent COAL using the standard Hornady die along with the new stem. It could be my measuring - but I think it is ultimately the plastic tip and how it compresses under the micrometer when measured - even so slightly. Do any of you employ a precision bullet seating die - and if so, what particular die, model, etc. - and why? I have seen online a few manufacturers of the precision dies with micrometer settings - but I do not want to throw more money down the tube unnecessarily. If a precision die would do the trick, I am ready to spend the money for the right alternative. Your suggestions and your own research would be greatly appreciated.

I had Redding competition die that will yield 4-6 thou run out, Forester at 2-4 and RCBS at 1-2 for my 270. On my 300 win mag RCBS die was garbage over 6, Lee did fairly well 3-5 and Forester 1-3. My point is to keep searching for a good die and stick with it. Also, die maintenance is crucial.

I have RCBS Gold Match and Forster. Prefer the Forster, love the bullet window in the GMM.
Can't help you with powder choice, but O have achieved surprising results with counterintuitive powder choices in 7mm-08.
I didn't mean to start a discussion on how people spend their money. I truly believe that we all should have the freedom to spend what we earn on what we want. I unfortunately have college tuition, alimony and live in a Bolshevik state with ridiculous real estate and other taxes and have very little disposable income left at the end of the month.
Funny, I was happiest when newly divorced and over the barrel financially (flat broke) and sending 90% of my take home to alimony and child support. Having many family and friends worth tens of millions, and having worked directly for billionaires, it's a gilded cage. Pen!s envy between billionaires is an ironic thing, sad to witness.
I was going to send some cases to Whidden for my 6.5x55 AI but bought Redding and saved $200.
6.5x55 BJAI - love mine!
I presume 40° if you have Reddings. I bought theirs and also a set of CH4D with neck bushing die too. The CH4D FL& standard seater produce less run out. No idea why, both sets are superb.

I use Forster and RCBS micrometer siting dies and have never had a bullet tip issue. Nathan Foster of Terminal Ballistics Research uses Redding and thinks they are great dies. Glen Zediker (a competition shooter) recommends Forster or Redding Dies. Any of these three brands should give you good bullet seating with out damage to the bullet tip, unless you are shooting compressed load or the die is not adjusted properly.

Sending it out today.

Pz74K8y.jpg

I don't see it that way, its your money spend it how you want. I'm sure all of us have spent money that later we ask our self why did I do that me included.
Just because somebody spends 2,000 on a scope rather than 800.00 are you suppose to put them in the wealthy category?
I just don't see it that way.
Obviously you have not met my wife!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.