Precision Micrometer die sets - your recommendations

The measurement you want is the base of the case to the bullet ogive and not the overall length of the bullet. Hornady makes this tool. It attaches to your caliper. This is a comparison measurement and not the true measurement. Brownells part number is 749-004-951 but it can be ordered from other sources and sells for around $33. The part number will keep you from ordering the wrong comparator since Hornady also makes a case gauge comparator.

Bob Snell

I didn't mean to start a discussion on how people spend their money. I truly believe that we all should have the freedom to spend what we earn on what we want. I unfortunately have college tuition, alimony and live in a Bolshevik state with ridiculous real estate and other taxes and have very little disposable income left at the end of the month. My comment was that I get COAL within 0.001 with an $80 die setup vs. spending $300+ on better quality dies. Of course, I'd love to have a $20,000 rifle with a $8000 optic but right now I'm in the Ruger American caste and am able to shoot 0.7 MOA on a good day. I know you get what you pay for, but sometimes us little guys want to have fun too. Sometimes the comments here are intimidating and presume thousands of dollars spent on equipment, if we want everyone to enjoy the sport we all need to be a little more tolerant of those who aren't so lucky to be able to spend lots of money on equipment.
sounds like you live in Illinois!!!

Brother all of the brands of dies RCBS,Redding,Lee,Forster,Hornady,Wilson they will do anything you need to do just pick one that you can live with and afford good luck with what ever you pick and God bless

sounds like you live in Illinois!!!
Or KA.

To the OP. Sinclair used to offer a bullet comparator which is basically a large hex nut with hole in each side. Put your bullet into the proper sized hole nose first and measure the length from the bullet base to the opposite side face. This will tell you if you have bullets with varying ogive shapes. I have one somewhere so if you PM me your address and I can find it, it's yours.
They still offer it. As I recall they're currently about $20. Somehow I managed to end up with two of them. I like it better than the Hornady product although I'd be hard pressed to say why.

Not once in this conversation did I hear anybody say anything about what the gentleman asked for load on the hornady ammo and what powder H4350 is what I have had my best success with you have to move up-and-down with your loads in order to figure it out and how far your rifle shoots best from the lands

For what it's worth, I'm having Lee make me a couple of custom VLD stems for my 6.5 Creed and 280 AI. Only $8 per stem. Had to send them the bullets I'm using.
Say what you want, but I've made excellent ammo that is very consistent and has little run out with Lee dies. They are inexpensive, but not cheap. I do prefer Forster FL dies of all the brands. And the Redding Type S bushing dies are fantastic, but I feel I get a lot of bang for my buck with Lee products.

Not once in this conversation did I hear anybody say anything about what the gentleman asked for load on the hornady ammo and what powder H4350 is what I have had my best success with you have to move up-and-down with your loads in order to figure it out and how far your rifle shoots best from the lands
Use RL26 and don't look back. You'll get near 6.5-284 velocities with it in the Creed (I'm getting 2950 fps and my 6.5-284 Norma is only 50 fps faster with a different powder). Most people have found that the ELDX works well at 0.020 off the lands. Personally, I set every seating depth for best concentricity by having the bullet boat tail/base junction even with the brass neck/shoulder junction. The ammo has very little run out (0.001-0.002) or none at all. Very rarely do I have to mess with seating depth when I set it up like this.

I also like H4350 and IMR 4350 I load 41.5 grains of either with 143 eld-x cci BR 2 or fed 210 match primers but you should start lower and work your way up there are many good powders for the Creedmoor good luck my friend

The measurement you want is the base of the case to the bullet ogive and not the overall length of the bullet. Hornady makes this tool. It attaches to your caliper. This is a comparison measurement and not the true measurement. Brownells part number is 749-004-951 but it can be ordered from other sources and sells for around $33. The part number will keep you from ordering the wrong comparator since Hornady also makes a case gauge comparator.

Bob Snell

But that doesn't help him with his problem. He needs to know it all of the bullets in a box are exactly alike or if there are 2 "or more" slightly different shaped bullets in the box which would result in 2 or more loaded rounds having different COLs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.