Precision Micrometer die sets - your recommendations

dgpcpa

I am fairly new to reloading and I am currently trying to find that "best" recipe for Hornady's 143 ELD-X for my Savage 6.5 CM. I have learned that the "standard" out of the box stem in the bullet crimping die is no good for the ELD-X round. The bullet bottoms out in the stem causing the plastic/nylon tip to crush and become deformed. So with a little help, I found the appropriate die stem that stops on the Ogive. Yet I am still having issues getting my rounds loaded to a consistent COAL using the standard Hornady die along with the new stem. It could be my measuring - but I think it is ultimately the plastic tip and how it compresses under the micrometer when measured - even so slightly. Do any of you employ a precision bullet seating die - and if so, what particular die, model, etc. - and why? I have seen online a few manufacturers of the precision dies with micrometer settings - but I do not want to throw more money down the tube unnecessarily. If a precision die would do the trick, I am ready to spend the money for the right alternative. Your suggestions and your own research would be greatly appreciated.

I am fairly new to reloading and I am currently trying to find that "best" recipe for Hornady's 143 ELD-X for my Savage 6.5 CM. I have learned that the "standard" out of the box stem in the bullet crimping die is no good for the ELD-X round. The bullet bottoms out in the stem causing the plastic/nylon tip to crush and become deformed. So with a little help, I found the appropriate die stem that stops on the Ogive. Yet I am still having issues getting my rounds loaded to a consistent COAL using the standard Hornady die along with the new stem. It could be my measuring - but I think it is ultimately the plastic tip and how it compresses under the micrometer when measured - even so slightly. Do any of you employ a precision bullet seating die - and if so, what particular die, model, etc. - and why? I have seen online a few manufacturers of the precision dies with micrometer settings - but I do not want to throw more money down the tube unnecessarily. If a precision die would do the trick, I am ready to spend the money for the right alternative. Your suggestions and your own research would be greatly appreciated.
Redding competition dies

I use the RCBS seat die with the micrometer stem, also measure COAL with the Hornady Bullet Comparator. Both the Micrometer stem and Hornady Comparator work off the ogive. This gives much more consistent results. BTW, I'm not near as wealthy as some on this site so my method is very affordable. I'm sure the sky is the limit LOL

Are you measuring COAL or CBTO? It should be the latter.

Consistent neck prep with the same ID and a nice chamfer should also help you.
The critical dimension is the jump to the lands and bullet tips vary.

Cartridge Base To Ogive (CBTO) is the measurement you need and your seater stem should be shaped to seat bullets to that dimension consistently.

Cartridge Over All Length (COAL) is only useful for determining if your ammo will fit in your magazine.

I read it as, he is not as stupid with his money as some on this site.
I don't see it that way, its your money spend it how you want. I'm sure all of us have spent money that later we ask our self why did I do that me included.
Just because somebody spends 2,000 on a scope rather than 800.00 are you suppose to put them in the wealthy category?
I just don't see it that way.

I didn't mean to start a discussion on how people spend their money. I truly believe that we all should have the freedom to spend what we earn on what we want. I unfortunately have college tuition, alimony and live in a Bolshevik state with ridiculous real estate and other taxes and have very little disposable income left at the end of the month. My comment was that I get COAL within 0.001 with an $80 die setup vs. spending $300+ on better quality dies. Of course, I'd love to have a $20,000 rifle with a $8000 optic but right now I'm in the Ruger American caste and am able to shoot 0.7 MOA on a good day. I know you get what you pay for, but sometimes us little guys want to have fun too. Sometimes the comments here are intimidating and presume thousands of dollars spent on equipment, if we want everyone to enjoy the sport we all need to be a little more tolerant of those who aren't so lucky to be able to spend lots of money on equipment.

I don't see it that way, its your money spend it how you want. I'm sure all of us have spent money that later we ask our self why did I do that me included.
Just because somebody spends 2,000 on a scope rather than 800.00 are you suppose to put them in the wealthy category?
I just don't see it that way.

No need to get hackled over it.

I didn't mean to start a discussion on how people spend their money. I truly believe that we all should have the freedom to spend what we earn on what we want. I unfortunately have college tuition, alimony and live in a Bolshevik state with ridiculous real estate and other taxes and have very little disposable income left at the end of the month. My comment was that I get COAL within 0.001 with an $80 die setup vs. spending $300+ on better quality dies. Of course, I'd love to have a $20,000 rifle with a $8000 optic but right now I'm in the Ruger American caste and am able to shoot 0.7 MOA on a good day. I know you get what you pay for, but sometimes us little guys want to have fun too. Sometimes the comments here are intimidating and presume thousands of dollars spent on equipment, if we want everyone to enjoy the sport we all need to be a little more tolerant of those who aren't so lucky to be able to spend lots of money on equipment.

.7is not bad there's a lot of guys that can't shoot that well that spend a lot more than you do

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.