Precision Micrometer die sets - your recommendations

All in jest. Wouldn't trade her for an AICS.......have to think about that one.
We have a side thread going. šŸ˜Ž
Your jest was noted, yet in all jokes there is an element of truth -- that is what makes them funny.
But will *she* like the AICS? I know my wife would!
Problem with mine - at the range (out in the woods), she ends up sweeping multiple times, and I wind up taking the gun away and yelling. But, she doesn't want to take classes from women shooters....
On an aside, the analogy to small changes is akin to long range shooting, where a minor adjustment to how you rest your finger on the trigger (seriously -- no double entendre here) can make a big difference at 1000.

Just my two cents from a newbie to this site. Been loading for many years and continue to learn!
A good purchase for you would be the HORNADY Lock N Load Cartridge OAL Guage, Cartridge comparator and bullet comparator set. It does not break the bank but they work well setting up your dies from the fired case measurement for each of your firearms you plan to load for. Also a GOOD quality caliper! Micrometer dies are great but once your dies are set up with good saved loading data your all set.
Bullet comparator set of 14 pcs. from .172-.458 bullet diameter.
Look at Hornady.com PRECISION TOOLS AND GUAGES.
Good luck

I use the RCBS seat die with the micrometer stem, also measure COAL with the Hornady Bullet Comparator. Both the Micrometer stem and Hornady Comparator work off the ogive. This gives much more consistent results. BTW, I'm not near as wealthy as some on this site so my method is very affordable. I'm sure the sky is the limit LOL
Yep must measure off the ogive. The most accurate

FWIW...the Redding competition die set has an outstanding micrometer seat die. However the micrometer bushing size die is a neck only size die. The set comes with a body die which,as the name implies, sizes the body. Personally, I recommend buying the Type S bushing full length size die along with the competition seating die. There is a VLD seating stem available for this die. My understanding is that Redding has this combination in a die set. This would be worth looking into.JMHO

We have a side thread going. šŸ˜Ž
Your jest was noted, yet in all jokes there is an element of truth -- that is what makes them funny.
But will *she* like the AICS? I know my wife would!
Problem with mine - at the range (out in the woods), she ends up sweeping multiple times, and I wind up taking the gun away and yelling. But, she doesn't want to take classes from women shooters....
On an aside, the analogy to small changes is akin to long range shooting, where a minor adjustment to how you rest your finger on the trigger (seriously -- no double entendre here) can make a big difference at 1000.
Actually we do fine. She buys what she wants and I buy what I want but neither of us are stupid so we keep it reasonable

Just to address the OP's initial question:
I have, use, and recommend Forster Ultra Micrometer dies, it has really helped me to take the guess work out of seating especially with changing values for tuning. I know the price tag can be intimidating; I was selling plasma to get my initial kit, and still do.

The biggest thing would be to have a dial caliper with a comparator mounted to validate the micrometer, no matter who you buy from. Don't worry about getting a fancy digital that "reads tenths" because they flat don't. If you're looking to metrology tooling on a budget, have a look at CDCO tools, they are Mitutoyo without out the name. I have several that I use at home, but took them into the shop to have them QCd and they passed... good enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts