Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonCeret

ADMIN

Administrator
I have written an instructional article on some of the more advanced techniques of precision hand loading after teaching and answering questions on this subject time and time again. Many of these techniques are basic procedures in competitive bench rest shooting. We field shooters can squeeze all the more accuracy out of our equipment by incorporating many of these procedures even though we are not using zero tolerance rifles. However not ALL bench rest loading techniques nor ways of thinking are desirable for our purposes here as we are not on tidy cement benches, with "glued in" rifles having a specified neck dimensioned chambers and minimal tolerances throughout the weapon. Nor are our rifles or ammo protected entirely from dust, grit, rain as well as beats & bangs if not worse! In the following pages I explain the techniques I adapted from bench best competitive procedure that I feel are worthwhile and beneficial to the typical high-end field rifle & shooter.
Read More...

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep, By Tres MonCeret. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonC

I just started using a case annealing kit from Hornady it comes a bottle of Tempilaq paint with a melting temp of 475 F. Am I going to get the job done at this temp.?

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonC

Tres Mon:
REALLY enjoyed this on the HIDE. If it's NOT a sticky it should be. Those of us here on LRH are in for a treat. Great info! I've cut & pasted all your articles so far and have the "booklet" on my reloading bench. I'm about 2/3 of the way thru sorting bullets. Still doing some brass sorting/prepping. Thanks for sharing! btw.......you've cost me a LOT of $$! LOL.......all worth it!

One question:
I got the 5 Hornay gauges from Midway:
(Hornady Cartridge Headspace Gage 5 Bushing Set - MidwayUSA)
to check headspace.
They seem to be in groups of standard calibers. What tool/gauge would you recommend I use to check the headspace on a 280AI chamber/cartridge? I'm not sure these 5 bushings/gauges fit the bill. I appreciate any info you can provide. Take care.

Mat,

With the Hornady kit it is my understanding the aluminum case holder concentrates the heat more. Surely Hornady has the correct temp Tempilaq figured out for their system, but here's a sure fire way of finding out...

Place a case in the holder as per H's instructions. Light your torch and get it going, then turn out the lights. Now roll the mouth/neck of the case in the flame until you get the faintest detectable maroon color. Immediately remove the case from the heat and quench it. Turn the light on and see what your Tempilaq looks like.

A faint maroon color in an otherwise DARK room is THE correct temp. You can experiment from here to see if you have the correct Tempilaq.

WEASEL,
Thanks so much for your kind & gracious words.

Per your question I'd give Hornady a call and see what they say...
I have not seen the entrance of their gages. Are they just a plain hole or are they tapered like Sinclaires?

In the end the main thing is you measure the same way from the same place each time consistently. Find the one that is best fit and use it EACH time. But I'd still give H a call.

Lemme know if i can help,
Tres

Good article, very informative. Easy to understand and nicely aided with pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Tres,

Can you provide the brand and model of an ultrasound cleaning unit that you've used and been reasonably satisfied with.

I was going to purchase one a couple years ago but gave up after shopping for a unit for some period of time. I'm ready to buy one but I'm not ready to research which one. Thanks for sharing your article with us.

+1 w/phorwath, I'd like to know the name of one too. I did the same thing about 18 month ago...researched the web for one after reading an article on the 6mmbr site.

Tres, I checked out the link and it talks about 5 pre-set cycles and a timer, so I'm wondering what setting do you use and for how long?

Tres Mon:
The holes are not tapered as far as I can see. Just a cylindrical hole all the way thru of different dimensions. And I thought about using them and keeping the exact protocol, but don't trust myself to do it perfect w/o a proper tool. Gotta have all the help I can get. Doh........"Call Hornady" Why didn't I think of that? Beats me! Senior moment, I guess! I'll ring em up. Thanks again for all your input and sharing!

Mat,

With the Hornady kit it is my understanding the aluminum case holder concentrates the heat more. Surely Hornady has the correct temp Tempilaq figured out for their system, but here's a sure fire way of finding out...

Place a case in the holder as per H's instructions. Light your torch and get it going, then turn out the lights. Now roll the mouth/neck of the case in the flame until you get the faintest detectable maroon color. Immediately remove the case from the heat and quench it. Turn the light on and see what your Tempilaq looks like.

A faint maroon color in an otherwise DARK room is THE correct temp. You can experiment from here to see if you have the correct Tempilaq.

WEASEL,

I have not seen the entrance of their gages. Are they just a plain hole or are they tapered like Sinclaires?

In the end the main thing is you measure the same way from the same place each time consistently. Find the one that is best fit and use it EACH time. But I'd still give H a call.

Tres

Mat,

WEASEL,

Tres
I always wonderd how to spell dislexseeya

Your welcome fellas!

Happy to help!

Tres <------------lexdyslic

Great article Tres, Easy to read and very applicable.

Please address the following questions I have:

1. What are your thoughts on Brass to Bullet concentricy runout ( probably mispelled but you know what I mean). Hope you address this in future followup articles especially adjusting dies to obtain the lowest runout.

2. I would like to hear more on the Harbor freight Ultrasonic cleaner. I know you get what you pay for but sometimes that is what individuals can afford. If it works then ok if not up to par then say so??

3. I have heard some say sort the brass by weight when brand new, other say sort when 1x fired, others say prep all brass completely the same all steps completely ready to load then sort by weights. Some say it does not make a difference but measure the inside volumn. I am getting sick of hearing so many different thoughts with no meaningful evidence. What do you recommend?

Thank you I look forward to reading your thoughts
odavid

Last edited:

Please address the following questions I have:
3. Some say it does not make a difference but measure the inside volume. I am getting sick of hearing so many different thoughts with no meaningful evidence. What do you recommend?

Thank you I look forward to reading your thoughts
odavid

Measuring and sorting by the interior volume of the brass is certainly the best method of establishing resultant pressures and reducing ES/SD. But it's a tedious process. Whether it's worth it or not would depend on the the user's goals. If you're trying to set a new world record in benchrest competition - probably worth it.

I know for fact that widely varying interior case capacities will affect pressure, velocity, and consequently POI. I've experienced that and proven it to myself by switching brands of cases of widely differing weight and interior capacities. I've had POI shift 2" at 100 yds. This was before I started to get serious about hunting at long range.

How close is close enough when it comes to volumetric consistency of the interior of brass casings is a question that is really dependent on the level of accuracy you're striving for, the time you're willing to invest, and can probably only be answered by you.

But interior case volume it the physical property of importance. Weighing cases is a shortcut method in the effort to identify and obtain uniform interior casing volumes. Problem with weighing cases is the weights will change due to variable external case dimensions which has nothing to do with interior volumetric capacity. Therefore measuring interior case volumes is the only way to go if you're trying to leave no stone unturned in the quest for consistency, accuracy, and precision.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.