Pre 64 win mod 70 action

200VLD

Let me start by saying that I know enough about guns to make me dangerous and that is about it.
I have a pre 64 win mod 70 rifle chambered in 30-06 ackley that i either want to use in a build, or sell and start fresh with a 700 action. I also have a barrel off of a sendero chambered in 7mm rem mag that I want to use in this build. My questions are....
1) What makes (or made) this action good?
2) Is a 700 action better?
3) Will my barrel off the sendero fit this action?
4) If I use this action are stocks hard to find?
Thanks for any input

Let me start by saying that I know enough about guns to make me dangerous and that is about it.
I have a pre 64 win mod 70 rifle chambered in 30-06 ackley that i either want to use in a build, or sell and start fresh with a 700 action. I also have a barrel off of a sendero chambered in 7mm rem mag that I want to use in this build. My questions are....

1) What makes (or made) this action good? Flat bottom, stiffer than round actions and holds to the bedding better
2) Is a 700 action better? NO
3) Will my barrel off the sendero fit this action? NO
4) If I use this action are stocks hard to find? NO
Thanks for any input

Answers in bold...

What makes the Win Model 70 good is that it is control round feed (CRF). Another point is the integral recoil lug which stiffens the action immensely.
I build switch barrel rifles, my preferred action is the Win Model 70 because I don't have to pin the recoil lug, like I do on the Rem 700 action, although this is my second preferred action for different reasons.
There are as many aftermarket stocks for either action, the choice is yours in respect to what you want to do with the rifle.
The other questions have been answered by Ridgerunner665.

Cheers.
gun)

The Win. Pre 64 was a rifle built at a great time in U.S industry history. Action started with a forged blank of steel, Then machined, The Mauser Extractor which makes it a controlled feed action. In world war I and II U.S. soldiers knew its dependability of the action from the wrong end and respected it. The trigger was simple and serviceable. The 3 position safety was its crown. Lock the action, or firing pin locked while loading and unloading, and cleared scopes without work when they became popular. It would take Bolt - Extractor modification and Magazine Rail Work to use any cartridge except 30-06 head size. Hide it in a closet and start with an action built to handle the cartridge you want to use. Good Luck and Happy Building.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.