Pre 64 safety issues

The safety lever, itself, sometimes wears down where it engages the cocking piece. There could be wear between the cocking piece and trigger, not allowing the safety to engage. Even if this Pre64 Model 70 Win was made in 1963, that would make this rifle 58 yrs. old. Things wear, even when made of hardened steel. And these days, everyone's a 'gunsmith'. Who knows what alterations may have been made in that amount of time?

Most likely someone has tinkered with the trigger and the safety will not engage because the firing pin and sear is out of adj the safety moves the firing pin back some when engaged probally a simple fix a gunsmith can fix it in a heartbeat while he's working on it get him too put a lighter trigger spring in if it hasn't all ready been done pre 64 triggers are great but with the factory spring there pretty hard a lighter spring will do wonders on that trigger good luck
Here's a short story I don't think I'll ever forget; It was the first day of deer season. I stay in my shop, available, because someone will have a 'problem'. The phone rings, the guy wants to know if I will work on a Win 70 trigger. Yes. Bring it. I'll fix while you wait if I can. The guy shows up with his rifle, a Post 64 SA in .300WSM. I check for 'loaded' and then take it out of the stock. The problem is obvious, he had let his buddy adjust the trigger pull. If the muzzle was pointed down when the bolt was manipulated, the trigger would engage. Gravity would put the trigger in the proper position. If the muzzle was up, or the trigger was pulled while the safety was engaged, there was no spring pressure to keep the trigger in the proper position so that when the safety was removed, the cocking piece would be 'handed-off' to the trigger. Gravity would "pull" the trigger if the muzzle was pointed up and the safety was 'on'. Without the sear (firing pin) putting main spring pressure against the trigger, it (the trigger) would just flop back and forth as the rifle was moved around, The guy says, " I was sitting, leaning up against a tree with my legs out stretched. I'd been there a 1/2hr or longer and I am sure I had moved the rifle around some while sitting and had the muzzle up a time or two. The biggest buck I've seen this year walked out about 60yds in front on me. I let off the safety and the rifle fired! Scared the s&*#@ out of me!! If I'd have happened to have the muzzle pointing at my foot, my nick-name would be "Stumpy"! ". True story. He had me set the pull weight @ 3 1/2lbs. "No more 'light' triggers for me!", he said as he paid me.

Last edited:
Hard Rock you are correct. After taking it apart and looking closely at it I can see that the firing pen slides just a tad forward when I put the bolt back in the gun. When I take the bolt apart and put it back together it works fine just not when it is in the gun. I will be dropping it off to the gun smith tomorrow.

Just for future reference, The current Winchester (owned and made by FN in S.C.) does not warranty Winchesters made by the previous owners in Connecticut. The new owners, that will be making Remington 'style' firearms are not and will not be taking warranty work on arms made by the previous owners of The Remington Arms Co.

Hard Rock you are correct. After taking it apart and looking closely at it I can see that the firing pen slides just a tad forward when I put the bolt back in the gun. When I take the bolt apart and put it back together it works fine just not when it is in the gun. I will be dropping it off to the gun smith tomorrow.
Glad you got it figured out my dad was a pretty good gunsmith and maker l learned a lot over the yrs and glad I could point you in the right direction

So, the Timney trigger website states no gun smithing required. Yet the links on this post appear to show how to fit the trigger. If you install a Timney trigger in a model 70 is the safety going to work correctly?

So, the Timney trigger website states no gun smithing required. Yet the links on this post appear to show how to fit the trigger. If you install a Timney trigger in a model 70 is the safety going to work correctly?
Not every time! The Win 70 safety is 'hand fit' to the trigger at the factory. If you change the trigger, you may need to 'hand fit' the safety to that trigger. When installing a Timney on a 70, sometimes adjusting the safety is necessary, but not always. That is the 'nature' of firing pin block safeties.

He had me set the pull weight @ 3 1/2lbs. "No more 'light' triggers for me!", he said as he paid me.
Well, then he hadn't learned his lesson. The lesson was no more triggers adjusted by idiots!

Having you adjust his M70 was a good start!

I have a 1.5oz trigger that is absolutely repeatable and safe….as it is.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it would be nice to see some knowledgable folks share how they test a trigger is safe.