Pre 64 safety issues

Bowhunter#18

I just purchased a Pre64 and the safety is stuck in the fire position and won't budge? Anybody want to post up a video on how to fix it? Thanks

I just purchased a Pre64 and the safety is stuck in the fire position and won't budge? Anybody want to post up a video on how to fix it? Thanks
Sounds like one of the older Rem triggers. They had mucho problems. Call Remington and get a new trigger.

Unload THE rifle before you send it to them.

Did you cock the rifle before trying to engage the safety?( I ask because some are not familiar with firing pin block safeties as they are with trigger mounted safeties) If you did, and it still doesn't work, you need to find a pro who is familiar with 3 position, swing safeties. The Win. is much more 'involved' than the aftermarket models made for Mausers, Springfields, and the rem 700s. Another thing to consider, Pre 64 parts are scarce. Mess it up, and it can really get expensive! Post 64 parts aren't gonna' fit/work.

Did you pull the shroud and firing pin out of the bolt? Is your shroud screwed all the way into bolt. If bolt is disassembled or assembled when safety lever is out of middle position you have to really force shroud around ( in a padded vice) so sear accuator rides up on the bolt sleeve and bolt sleeve lock can engage in slot. If not that then other possibilities are sear face worn and out of time.

I tried all of the easy fixes and I am not that lucky. I need some one that has worked on safety after removing it. I am sure it is going to take some fine file work to take a burr or flat spot off. Hoping one these Winchester pre64 guys will send me a video. Eric 904-449-3066

I was able to maneuver the shroud with a little pressure after removing the shroud and firing pen from the bolt. The problem is in the safety itself binding with the firing pen I believe.

I have 4 semi customs all built off the Winchester model 70. One of my guns was always harder to move the safety off the fire position . Two weeks ago i was not able to get it off the fire position. i took it to my gunsmith and he was able to correct it. He told me that it is best to have someone who experience with model 70s. He said most people try to adjust the sear and this can cause the safety to not preform and cause a accidental discharge.

If you are asking this question, it's obvious you are not qualified to fix this problem. You need to send it to Winchester or take it to a good gunsmith who do know what they are doing. Safety and triggers are not something unknowledgeable people should be messing around with unless you want to risk killing yourself or someone else.

Last edited:
You need to send it to Remington or
How is this helpful?

That said, Win 70's are tricky. I have only worked on the post64 CRF model, but it is likely similar.

They need the trigger and cocking piece finely tuned for the safety to function. If the trigger is not holding the cocking piece enough, the safety is not able to lift the cocking piece off the sear. If not holding it back enough, the safety cannot be engaged.

So one way you cannot get the safety on. The other way it appears set, but it actually is not lifted off the sear. Pull the trigger and the gun fires when the safety is released.
I'd rather have it adjusted to have a bit of a stiff function than fire when released!

From Timney:

Can someone in the know tell us if these M70 post64 CRF instructions are the same as pre64?

I tried all of the easy fixes and I am not that lucky. I need some one that has worked on safety after removing it. I am sure it is going to take some fine file work to take a burr or flat spot off. Hoping one these Winchester pre64 guys will send me a video. Eric 904-449-3066
Most likely someone has tinkered with the trigger and the safety will not engage because the firing pin and sear is out of adj the safety moves the firing pin back some when engaged probally a simple fix a gunsmith can fix it in a heartbeat while he's working on it get him too put a lighter trigger spring in if it hasn't all ready been done pre 64 triggers are great but with the factory spring there pretty hard a lighter spring will do wonders on that trigger good luck