• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Pre-64 NEVER FIRED 300 Win Mag

"bidder" was certainly a bad choice of words. If I could go back and edit the post I would but it doesn't appear I can so I'll have to make the correction here:

So, who wants to buy it?

As Lefty7mm kindly suggested, I contacted Center of the West. I must say, they have an impressive operation going out there. Anyway, here is Dan Brumley's response to my request for assistance. The important bit is at the bottom. As far as I'm concerned, the question of when the gun was built has been settled to 1962. Apparently Mr. Rule (mentioned below) was not aware of guns built in '62. So, who's the first bidder?

PS. Thanks Edd for your correct analysis of the situation you posted above.

"The Model 70 is considered by many to be the finest bolt-action rifle ever made in the U.S.A. and is often referred to as "The Rifleman's Rifle". The pre-1964 Model 70's are very collectable. The Model 70 was offered in the following standard calibers; .300 Savage, .35 Rem., .458 Win Mag, 7mm, .358 Win., .250-3000 Savage, .300 Win. Mag., .338 Win Mag, .375 H&H Mag., .257 Roberts, .220 Swift, .22 Hornet, .264 Win. Mag., .300 H&H Mag., .308 Win., .243 Win., .270 W.C.F., 7.65 mm Mauser, 9mm Mauser, and .30-06 Gov't.

The Model 70 was offered in a variety of styles: the Standard Rifle, the Super Grade, the Carbine, the National Match, the Target Model, the Bull Gun, the Featherweight, the Super Grade Featherweight, and the Varmint Rifle.

Standard barrels for all calibers were 24 inch except the 220 Swift and 375H&H had a 26 inch barrel and the 22 Hornet, 250-3000, 270, 30-06, 7MM, and 257 Roberts had a 20 inch barrel. Stocks were walnut and ranged from straight grain to extra fancy depending on the version of Model 70. The Model 70 has been made in over 87 versions throughout its production history.

Accredited museums, such as ours, are not permitted to provide pricing, values, or appraisals of any kind. For a specific value you will need the services of an experienced and respected firearms appraiser who will develop a written appraisal for you for a fee. If you only desire a ball park figure, we recommend the "Blue Book of Gun Values". It is authored by S. P. Fjestad and is widely available from your local book stores, gun shows, gun shops, libraries, and online at www.bluebookofgunvalues.com .

Your serial number 559XXX was produced in approximately 1962, according to secondary resources. Factory production records do not exist for the Model 70, therefore specific production data about your gun is not available. The popular opinion on pre-64 Model 70's is that serial numbers prior to 700,000 are pre-64. Also, in the book "The Rifleman's Rifle" by Roger Rule, he states that the .300 Win Mag was only produced in 1963."

Kind Regards;

Dan Brumley
Curatorial Assistant, Cody Firearms Museum

I looked at a real nice 300 Win Mag today. It was #560311.

"bidder" was certainly a bad choice of words. If I could go back and edit the post I would but it doesn't appear I can so I'll have to make the correction here:

So, who wants to buy it?

My bid price is the same as my I'll buy it price.