• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Pre-64 NEVER FIRED 300 Win Mag

Nobody

Submitted for your review, I have a pre-64 300 Winchester Magnum that I'm putting up for sale. This was my brother's rifle, however, it was never shot and so it doesn't have quite the same meaning to me as other rifles I have of his which I will not be selling.

There's not much to say about this rifle because it sat in a gun safe for years. It's NEVER been fired. Yes friend we're talking totally virgin. While I don't have the rifle in front of me right now I can tell you the wood is nearly flawless. Anything that is there would be minimal. The buttpad is dirty from having sat for so long but, that's life.

Price is $3500 OBO. Yeah, price is hefty but compared to an undriven pre-64 Corvette, it's entirely reasonable. Pictures follow.

Attachments

• DSCN2013 (1).jpg
    DSCN2013 (1).jpg
    140 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN2016.jpg
    DSCN2016.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN2015 (1).jpg
    DSCN2015 (1).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN2021.jpg
    DSCN2021.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN2018.jpg
    DSCN2018.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2022.jpg
    DSCN2022.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 24
bump for the day crew.

I've been asked about trades - I'm selling this to help fund building a house so thanks, but I don't need to trade.

I'm so envious of this I could just whine like a 4-yr old.

What do you think this might sell for in 10 years ?

No box or paperwork. Back then, we never figured on selling it someday.

I need to check the S/N to see how old it is. In 10 years it'll only be worth a lot more.

No box or paperwork. Back then, we never figured on selling it someday.

I need to check the S/N to see how old it is. In 10 years it'll only be worth a lot more.

If it's a Pre-64, it had to be made in '63 (the year Winchester released the .300 Win Mag).

can you post some pictures of the receiver please, specifically the top view. thank you

S/N is 5598XX The last two digits I keep to myself (and the buyer). Winchester's website indicates this to be a Model 70 61-62 build year. I found that data at page 30 of the PDF document displayed on the Winchesterguns.com website. Now either I can't read correctly or this contradicts information shown above regarding a 63 build year.

Regarding more pictures, yes, I can get those but it's going to take a day or so.

I think some pics would certainly help to clarify what you have for sale. It is my understanding that Winchester released the 300 Win Mag in 1963, meaning there was only one year for Pre-64 Model 70's in that chambering.

Did your brother buy it new? I have always been under the impression they were introduced in 1963 and that was the only year with about 5,000 being made.

Yes, it was purchased new.

I'm going to contact Winchester and that blue book service and get this straightened out. There's 3 things I know - 1) it's never been shot 2) it's serial number is what's displayed above and 3) it's a 300 Win Mag. I can't explain why the serial number SEEMS to fit into 61 - 62 build year. Maybe I read the Winchester pdf incorrectly but I don't think so. Stay tuned.

What, exactly, does the barrel stamp say for the chambering? Is it possible this rifle is chambered in 300 H&H?

Yes, it was purchased new.

I'm going to contact Winchester and that blue book service and get this straightened out. There's 3 things I know - 1) it's never been shot 2) it's serial number is what's displayed above and 3) it's a 300 Win Mag. I can't explain why the serial number SEEMS to fit into 61 - 62 build year. Maybe I read the Winchester pdf incorrectly but I don't think so. Stay tuned.

you cannot research old winchesters. they lost all records of winchesters many years ago, impossible to tell what was built in what configuration. but hey I dont know pre-64's :rolleyes: