Pre 64 model 70

elkaholic

My son-in law just inherited a beauty of a pre 64 STD. in 30-06. It was manufactured in 1956 and that may have been the last time the barrel was cleaned, although the rest of the rifle is GREAT! I cleaned it for a day and night with Bore Tech and it came out sparkly! We took it out and shot it today with some 150 gr. Federal ammo and the first two shots from it were nearly touching:)!
I told him what a find he had and encouraged him to take off the original stock and keep it in storage. I told him we could pick up a synthetic or laminate, glass bed it, and it should shoot great. Here is the question: For you guys who have one, what stock would you recommend that won't break the bank? Also, do they make any with the front boss screw and would you use it or float the barrel? Thanks!...........Rich

Good find! For me more of them shot, than won't. Given the advantages of, better optics, bullets and brass they can redefine what was the standard 60 years ago.

Don't know of a inexpensive stock, for a standard weight, I have an old featherweight stock, that isn't in collectible condition. Functional, but uncertain off the top of my head how much work it would take to get it usable, or if it could be done at all.

I have been eyeing the boyd's laminates for quite awhile,if the factory stock didn't fit me so well I probably would have one by now.

I never bedded mine or messed with the barrel tie down. It was fussy about what it liked, but shot bugholes with what it did.

Cliff

I have a Supergrade in 30-06 made in the late 50's that's quite accurate as well. The pre-64's are great rifles! Other then McMillan, or comparably priced custom stockers, finding a, inexpensive replacement stock, particularly one that accommodates the front swivel barrel lug is near impossible. Another option is to try EBay. A few years back I picked up a well used, but serviceable pre-64 walnut stock for a couple of hundred bucks. Deciding on whether to fully bed or float the barrel would depend on how well the originally stocked rifle shot, and held zero. I have seen many sporter weight barrels require forearm support/pressure in order to give the best accuracy.

My son-in law just inherited a beauty of a pre 64 STD. in 30-06. It was manufactured in 1956 and that may have been the last time the barrel was cleaned, although the rest of the rifle is GREAT! I cleaned it for a day and night with Bore Tech and it came out sparkly! We took it out and shot it today with some 150 gr. Federal ammo and the first two shots from it were nearly touching:)!
I told him what a find he had and encouraged him to take off the original stock and keep it in storage. I told him we could pick up a synthetic or laminate, glass bed it, and it should shoot great. Here is the question: For you guys who have one, what stock would you recommend that won't break the bank? Also, do they make any with the front boss screw and would you use it or float the barrel? Thanks!...........Rich
I have been working with stocks and found them on E-bay. I have post-64 Winchester MDL 70. I purchased a Pre-64 stock, the problem is the pre and post trigger magazine assembly are not same. The stock on my rifle was plastic stock and flexed when using bore scope to mount the rifle scope. I purchased a pre-64 trigger assembly and with a little modifying was able use the wood stock. After glass bedding and using pillar bedding the action. The rifle shoots great. Good luck !

Thanks for the replies so far guys. This thing is quite a find. The bluing is probably 98% and is generally in very good condition. The finish on the stock is rubbed off in places but the wood is not gouged or cracked.
I may look at Boyds but do they have anything cut for the pre 64?......Rich

Thanks for the replies so far guys. This thing is quite a find. The bluing is probably 98% and is generally in very good condition. The finish on the stock is rubbed off in places but the wood is not gouged or cracked.

I tried unsuccessfully a few years ago. A drop in stock for the pre 64's would likely be difficulty because there were variances over the many years the pre 64 Model 70's were produced. McMillan offers a pre-64 drop in but I would send my action to them to confirm a proper fit, particularly the floor plate and the lump for the barrel swivel. Having gone through the process of re-stocking, I gave the idea up. My rifle was probably similar in condition to yours. Given the finish is worn on the stock, and the rifle shoots well, an option would be to just use it as is. The collectors go for mint/ w original box, or rare caliber samples. Mine, all original, has proven to be an accurate and charismatic companion for hunting at moderate ranges.
My Supergrade 30-06.

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 77

Boyd's lists stocks cut for 1-piece bottom metal, 2-piece bottom metal, or a blind magazine. They list a pre-WWII Model 70 inlet and a general Model 70 inlet. Not sure which options are correct for a pre-64. Maybe worth a phone call for clarification.

Richard's specifically lists a pre-64 inlet. Not sure if that includes the cut for the front boss screw. If that cut is not present, I wouldn't think it would be difficult to inlet and drill for it (assuming you want to use it).

As an aside, my CZ 550 Safari Magnum has a front boss screw, which I would think is pretty important for recoil management with the big African chamberings. However, I note with interest that the more LRH oriented Badlands model in 338 Lapua does not seem to incorporate the front boss screw. That leads me to believe that good, solid bedding and free-floating the barrel may work just as well. With the modest recoiling 30-06, I wouldn't be afraid to steel bed the action and let 'er rip.

With either a Boyd's or Richards, even if the inlet is decent, they still aren't exactly drop-in stocks. Expect them to need a generous helping of elbow grease.

............ A drop in stock for the pre 64's would likely be difficulty because there were variances over the many years the pre 64 Model 70's were produced. McMillan offers a pre-64 drop in but I would send my action to them to confirm a proper fit...........

I have had 2 Model 70 McMillans, and would agree with sending them the rifle.

Both of mine worked well with good gunsmith installation, but I think it would be easier on all to just have It cut correctly from the start.

I like the Lazzeroni thumbhole a lot better than the standard pattern.

Love me some pre-64 mod 70. I made a custom thumb hole stock for one of mine when I couldn't find anything I liked. A rather long shot but, MAYBE eBay or gunbroker?? Sweet find indeed!

I had bought the pre-64 stocks to use on my Winchester model54. The bolt pattern is different than the 70. I ended up keeping the 54 stock which has the barrel screw threaded with into the barrel. I kept the screw in the stock and just free floated forward of the screw on the 54. With the barrel with the screw ,this old girl will shoot 5 bullets into one hole at 100 yards.gun)

I had bought the pre-64 stocks to use on my Winchester model54. The bolt pattern is different than the 70. I ended up keeping the 54 stock which has the barrel screw threaded with into the barrel. I kept the screw in the stock and just free floated forward of the screw on the 54. With the barrel with the screw ,this old girl will shoot 5 bullets into one hole at 100 yards.gun)

Ain't it sweet when they do that!!..........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.