Pre-64 model 70 winchester Modern build ideas.

Winchester Cartridge for sure. My personal preference for Hunting would be 7mm and the .284 Winchester (Shehane) in leu of the 280AI if only to keep with a traditional theme, even though I'd consider 270 Win AI with a fast twist barrel as stated above. Today's Quarter Bore Bullets deserve a consideration throwing out any traditional theme. (Blackbird)

Winchester Cartridge for sure. My personal preference for Hunting would be 7mm and the .284 Winchester (Shehane) in leu of the 280AI if only to keep with a traditional theme, even though I'd consider 270 Win AI with a fast twist barrel as stated above. Today's Quarter Bore Bullets deserve a consideration throwing out any traditional theme. (Blackbird)
A fast twist 270 would be nice, I get some bullets and primers I can start loading for my 270, will have to use factory ammo this year tho.

A fast twist 270 would be nice, I get some bullets and primers I can start loading for my 270, will have to use factory ammo this year tho.

i just ordered an 18" 1:8T .270 McGowen in the original Winchester target contour for my 1951 M70. Wanna run 140-150 class Hammers or Bulldozers. Should Make for a pretty handy little rifle. Gonna keep original stock and have it bedded and pillars installed.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of building a 7 mm rifle on the pre 64 Winchester action. In fact, this past year I build such a rifle and it is chambered for the 280 Remington because it has a 22 inch featherweight barrel. I can get almost 3000 fps with a 140 grain Partition. My rifle with 3 x 9 leupold 30 mm tube and sling weight 8 pounds 5 ounces. I am a hunter and all of my hunting rifles have 22 inch barrels. I had originally considered a 280 AI but I would only build one with a 24 in inch barrel so I gave up on that idea. My rifle is an original 1953 Model 70 with the original stock. I did install a Pachmayr Decelerator pad, steel bottom metal, a Timney trigger and replaced the sling swivels with McMillan sling swivel cups. The finished rifle is really sweet and it's a 400 yard rifle for whitetail and mule deer. I have another rifle with a McMillan pre 64 composite stock and I urge you to take a look at that stock for your rifle build. I have never used a fiber wrapped barrel but I think they would be good for a 24 inch barrel. A 24 inch barrel on a hunting rifle is not very user friendly and a 26 inch barrel is clumsy to say the least.

Last edited: