• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Pre 64 (48')

kennygss

I have a pre 64 M-70 1948 ( 113XXX ) in 06'. I ask honestly, is this the wrong place to sell it? Should I go to Gunbroker or some such? Its a nice rifle, unmolested. I know they are collectable, but I am not a gun grader or trader, so I am not competent enough to grade "percentages" etc. I was going to build a rifle off this action, but it seems a shame to take it apart.

I would get it appraised by a professional before I did anything. You will probably be surprised what it worth!

A nice pre 64 model 70 has value but if it is just a standard rifle it isn't too valuable to be used as an action donor. Post some pictures and ask for offers.

The condition of the rifle will dictate the value, more so than the chambering. But if it is a less common chambering it will bring more than the same gun of equal condition. Ironically, I was just at a gunshop monday and the owner has a pre-64 in .270 win that was never fired, that he bought off a widow who needed money for husbands funeral, i didn't ask what he gave her but i'll bet he stole it from her. But what that gun will be worth makes my head spin.

The condition of the rifle will dictate the value, more so than the chambering. But if it is a less common chambering it will bring more than the same gun of equal condition. Ironically, I was just at a gunshop monday and the owner has a pre-64 in .270 win that was never fired, that he bought off a widow who needed money for husbands funeral, i didn't ask what he gave her but i'll bet he stole it from her. But what that gun will be worth makes my head spin.

Thanks for this, and all replys. This rifle is pretty nice for an old rifle, but, as I said, Im no expert rifle detective. I took it to a local dealer, he said $800, so, that gives me some idea. I am sure that number might fluctuate when I say I am selling, rather than appraising! LoL

Kenny , the 30-06 was the most common Chambering , so I would do what you want with it . There is something about the old Model 70 Action which " feels " right to me . If you are going to build a Custom and you can't do some of the work yourself , it gets expensive pretty quick . You have to balance out the cost of the Custom ( and the time and searching around for the Gunsmith (s) ) versus Cash for your M70 and the Cost of something like a Cooper , Sako , etc . BTW , I used to Collect pre 64s and the Chambering in a pre 64 has a whole lot to do with its Value , as does Condition . Try pricing a 9X57 MM or 7.65 MM Pre 64 in any Condition . I have seen both for Sale , and the Prices are astronomical ! You have to be real careful these days because the really Rare Pre 64s ( as well as the boxes and hang tags ) are being faked by guys who know exactly what the real thing looks like.

Kenny , the 30-06 was the most common Chambering , so I would do what you want with it . There is something about the old Model 70 Action which " feels " right to me . If you are going to build a Custom and you can't do some of the work yourself , it gets expensive pretty quick . You have to balance out the cost of the Custom ( and the time and searching around for the Gunsmith (s) ) versus Cash for your M70 and the Cost of something like a Cooper , Sako , etc . BTW , I used to Collect pre 64s and the Chambering in a pre 64 has a whole lot to do with its Value , as does Condition . Try pricing a 9X57 MM or 7.65 MM Pre 64 in any Condition . I have seen both for Sale , and the Prices are astronomical ! You have to be real careful these days because the really Rare Pre 64s ( as well as the boxes and hang tags ) are being faked by guys who know exactly what the real thing looks like.

Thanks for the info. This one I have had for about 20 years. Just sits in the safe. Actually shoots very well. I have a 41' as well that is very nice, it has an early lyman alaskan on it, it was my Granfathers who bought it new. It has slain many a whitetail with that silly optic on it.

Thanks for the info. This one I have had for about 20 years. Just sits in the safe. Actually shoots very well. I have a 41' as well that is very nice, it has an early lyman alaskan on it, it was my Granfathers who bought it new. It has slain many a whitetail with that silly optic on it.
If it were me, I'd send it to Krieger, Lilja, or Bruton and have them put a nice light varmint contour barrel chambered in 300wm on it and put it in a nice stock.

Just "upgrade the heirloom" and you'll have a nice rifle to pass down to the next generation.

Recent Posts