Prarie doggin' scope selection

tfosters01

Need your suggestions. What magnification power ranges and objective lense sizes do you seasoned prarie dog shooters recommend for shooting a 22/250 out to 500 yards?

Any power scope "Will Work" but what I use that seems to be working best for me is the most power I can afford. Right now I'm using a Leupold 6.5X20X40AO VX111 that had been boosted by Premier Reticules to 14.5X40 but I find that I get the best clarity with it at about 32X. I wish it had the side focus like my 6.5X20X40VX111LR with the 30MM tube but it does seem to work well once its adjusted.
The scope has me shooting further than I ever have before and so far my longest shot on PD's with my .223 using a 50 grain NBT was 636 and very doable. Right now I'm thinking that with that scope and load I can get to 700 but we will see. That particular scope does seem to have enough internal adjustment to get me that far to for that matter. I'm shooting off a 360 degree sharp shooter bench using a Harris bipod with no rear bag and it does not bounce around at all.
Another thing that you might want to look at is the lowest setting on the scope as its a bit tough to move from 600 yds to 50 yds with the scope set on 32X. It seems I'm always cranking on the scope to get my perfect sight picture. Either the turrets or the AO or the power ring. Find a scope that is a bit more usable than mine. One that has a side focus for parallax, one of the newer scopes that are 6X32 power, and one with good clear glass with really great color contrast. It makes it a lot easier to pick out the PD at long ranges. Plus the splat factor is awesome with the higher grade's of glass. :)

Thanks for the input. I am also building a 308 semi auto that I would eventually want to be able to shoot out to 1,000 yards. Do I need to by a mount with 20 MOA built into it for that distance or is a 0 MOA ok?

Thats a question that is dependent on a couple different things. How many MOA's the scope has top to bottom and how much drop your round has at 1000 yards. If your scope like my 6.5X20X50LR has say seventy MOA top to bottom total then yes you can do it. But if it has 45MOA like my 6.5X20X40AO VX111 that is boosted then no. You will run out of gas at around 800 yds. It takes the 30MM tube with the 70MOA to get enough drop to do the distance with a 175 grain SMK running as fast as you can get it to go with Varget powder. If your using the 155 Palma and running it hot you might be able to do it with the smaller tube. It takes a whole lot more info than you have to get a better idea of what you can do.

The scope is a Millett 6X25X56 with a 35mm tube and I plan on loading a 168gr HPBT (Nosler) at about 2,900fsp. I am not sure of the mil adjustment limits yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.