Praise for Match Kings

bblaine2k

I just wanted to give a few words of advice/praise and thanks to the crew of long range hunters here who have so carefully and wisely sent me on my long range shooting/hunting career.

It's been a long haul as I previously mentioned from picking the caliber, rifle, scope, load, practice methods, etc. etc. However, it finally paid off!

I was hunting the opening day of the regular firearms deer season in my home state of West Virginia. I hunt in the Ohio Valley Hill country and you can really stretch the shots out. I had my well broken in and practiced Long Range Rig in my possession. For those who have followed my posts know that I settled on a Remington 700 Sendero Stainless Fluted in 7 Ultra Mag with a Sightron 6-24 X SII series scope and a Harris Bi-Pod. I had practiced lots, as is a requirement of long range shooting and knew what I could do with it. Within a few hours, a small cull buck came out at 275 yards and I launched a 168 grain SMK towards him. The result was outstanding! As the buck was angling towards me, the Sierra Match King entered his left shoulder smashing through it and the ribcage and took out about 3 vertebrae then exiting dropping the deer as quickly as a 50 lb anvil hitting it on its head. The upper portion of both lungs were gone completely devastated by the bullet. Now I know that this isn't a long shot. I've shot further with much smaller calibers with similar results but the point is that the Match Kings Worked wonderfully. I hope to meet a few more whitetails out at further distances where I expected them to be but only time will tell.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed. Wish I had pics but perhaps I can upload some of my rig in the near future.

Long live, long range hunting!

The_Mountaineer

The_Mountaineer :
Shame on you
rolleyes.gif

Match grade bullets don't work on deer!
rolleyes.gif

Your BAD!!!!!
LOL LOL LMAO!!!!
Good going! congrats!! to ya

I've long been under the impression that a MK wasn't a good deer bullet also (though I DO know from experience that they are GREAT 'dog loads!). Looks like you proved me wrong! Might just have to whip me up a batch of good hunting loads with the 168 SMK's for next season and see what they can do! I LOVE those SMK's!!! Good shootin' and congrats bro!

TH

[ 01-18-2004: Message edited by: Austin ]

Matchkings are some of the "best" hunting bullets there are for elk, deer, Caribou and even Moose.

It's been proven time and time again.

Later
DC
smile.gif

Matchkings are some of the "best" hunting bullets there are for elk, deer, Caribou and even Moose.

Second only to the A-max.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.