Prairie Dogs spots in Arizona?

StraightShooter77

LRH Sponsor
Hi Folks I live in the Phoenix area and used to go to Big Boquillas Ranch outside of Seligman for prairie dogs but I stopped a few years ago. They now charge a daily fee and don't allow hunters on when the season reopens.

Any solid intel or recommendations for locations that are thick with P dogs in Arizona?

I got an itchy trigger finger so thanks a bunch in advance!

Shoot Straight!

StraightShooter77

In addition to the Seligman area, I know there are prairie dogs on the east side over toward Show Low. I have seen them from the highway that runs between Payson and Show Low, but haven't scouted the area and cannot speak to specific spots.

Either way, time spent running the back roads in these areas, scouting for prairie dogs, seems like the perfect approach to "social distancing" and a good way to pass the time while we wait for prairie dog season to re-open and for life to return to normal.

BTW, I am not sure there are ANY places in AZ where the prairie dogs would be considered "thick", in terms of population density, though you are likely to encounter some prairie dogs that are FAT! In addition to your centerfire varmint rifles, it is worthwhile to bring a rimfire with you. There are lots of tight little spots in terrain, populated by prairie dogs, and perfectly suited to ambush by rimfire.

Last edited:
Thanks Benchracer. I actually went up to Seligman area today since today was the last day to hunt them. Between April 1st to July 1st Gunnison prairie dogs are off limits.

I brought my ATV and strapped my shooting table on to the racks for transport. I had lots of hits with my .223 Bushmaster Varminter with 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip reloads. Shots were between 150 to 300 yards. Had to do lots of glassing and waiting but I shot close to 3 dozen across the 4-5 hours. That included a couple real fat ones.

I shot my Savage 12BVSS .22-250 as well but had poor results. I was shooting 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip reloads which I've had great luck with in the past. I dunno what went wrong there.

Overall given the madness of what's going on out there with COVID19 I was glad I went (by myself) and took advantage of the last day to shoot them until July. It was stress relieving :)

I am glad you made it out for the last day of the season (until July)! I have been able to have at them on the previous two weekends. Conditions were less than ideal, but I enjoyed being out there.

I typically shoot 22LR, .223 and/or 22-250, with good results. It's windy country, though, and the crosswinds can make things pretty challenging. I've got to think your Savage is a pretty good shooter. Although component availability may be a bit complicated for awhile, at least you have some time to get things sorted out before July 1st.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts