Prairie Dog'n changed

I guess I've been lucky. We've got 10 of us that have been going to South Dakota for the last 10 years to the same rancher. It's been great. Shooting varies every year, but can't say we've ever had a real bad year. Last year was very good. Every one of the towns was hot.

Are you paying?

I was out west last summer, dogging. I came across a disabled car on the quiet road, stopped to help. After a bit I offered to tow him home, at least out of the lane of traffic.

We get to his rural home, he says, you guys can shoot at my private dog patch over the hill. We were almost done for the day, but said we'd take a look. It was a great spot, mainly 10-15 acres around a pond. We shot for 90 minutes.

He said it was for friends, who haven't been in a while, come back anytime. I plan to check in with him again, bring a few tokens of appreciation.

Every time I go I find something new. One spot last June even seemed to have plague problems. It's been red hot, but barely so-so last year. One has to adjust to current conditions.

4 sure!! 125 rounds is a decent hour in some places:)
Not a question of not enough targets.
Question is getting the gun loaded, aiming it, maybe have the dog duck back down in his hole, picking another, then re aiming at that one before getting a shot off.
Id like to watch how somebody can get 125 shots off in an hour.

Well that much you need several rifles at least I would. 22lr & 17HMR for out to 100yrds. When I went i Liked to get a spot where I could set up at least 300 - 400 + yards away from a dog patch. Shoot that patch out then move on to the next. When you get the distance the sound of shots doesn't really bother them. Also, their friends dropping next to them don't seem to bother them too much. Sure at distance you can just keep putting the cross hairs on continue to shoot. I could shoot 30 in a row with a big mag my RRA .223, but then need to switch rifles or wait for the barrel to cool down. It is possible to shoot one every 30 seconds but depending on your caliber and barrel you would have a hot barrel and effect accuracy. Hunting PD is not just squeezing the trigger and keep shooting. I as well as friends like to take the challenge shots. The harder more difficult shots are the ones to go for. It is very boring to just sit and take all the easy shots. I would rather try for the distance shot and miss (then try again) than shoot at a close shot and hit!

Not a question of not enough targets.
Question is getting the gun loaded, aiming it, maybe have the dog duck back down in his hole, picking another, then re aiming at that one before getting a shot off.
Id like to watch how somebody can get 125 shots off in an hour.
I quit calling folks out on the subject, they don't like it. There was a thing the taught in school called simple math, I use it on a daily basis. It has served me well. Maybe this "new" math is different?

I have shot a match or three that were tough for 200-300 rounds in an 8-10 hour day. These were at a known distance and generous sized as well, at least compared to a prairie dog.

When I am dog hunting I don't count, nor do I take any prisoners. Those worried about taking large numbers of pups, take out both adults and the pups have little chance of making it. Distances, I won't pass up a shot at 50 yards to take a chance at one at 400.
Wind, mirage and misjudgment of yardages I am sure a lot of "long" shots are not quite what we think. I tend to shoot over more than I shoot under. There are those that knock the 17's, but on a semi calm day I can get a good idea of distance from it and then switch to a 22 or 6mm.
I seldom comment on this subject anymore and shouldn't have now.

Times really have changed, last time I was in Souh Dakota at the Badlands we were allowed to shoot right on the Badlands property with only a $2.00 small game hun ting license. Was warned that if it started to rain, leave immediately as we were traveling in a motor home as base camp. Actually watched our .17 caliber pills leave the muzzle.

Times really have changed, last time I was in Souh Dakota at the Badlands we were allowed to shoot right on the Badlands property with only a $2.00 small game hun ting license. Was warned that if it started to rain, leave immediately as we were traveling in a motor home as base camp. Actually watched our .17 caliber pills leave the muzzle.
Gee must have Superman vision or really slow 17s to see the bullet leave the muzzel.
When you were warned to leave if it started to rain was it was because you didn't have a roof on your mobile home?

You have evidently not ever been caught on what I refer to as high desert or prairie in a heavy down pour. A small ditch can turn into a raging river, pretty quick especially if you don't know the terrain.

Take a bowling ball and smear grease all over it, then coat your hands with oil, now pick up the bowling ball. The fine dust and sand with a super hard base, the water either stands or runs off. The slime on top is as bad as ice if not worse.

I see GA on your addy. Y'all have water and sloppy mud with real estate that will absorb a fair bit, a different terrain North West of ya.

You have evidently not ever been caught on what I refer to as high desert or prairie in a heavy down pour. A small ditch can turn into a raging river, pretty quick especially if you don't know the terrain.

Take a bowling ball and smear grease all over it, then coat your hands with oil, now pick up the bowling ball. The fine dust and sand with a super hard base, the water either stands or runs off. The slime on top is as bad as ice if not worse.

I see GA on your addy. Y'all have water and sloppy mud with real estate that will absorb a fair bit, a different terrain North West of ya.
Chill out-can't you see that my post was meant as a "fun poke". Too serious
Yes in GA we get torrential rains. Was about three hours after. The black pictures were when the storm hit during the day-we were in the basement.
This is off our back deck of our yard next to the house.

Attachments

• Rain Storm Back Deck.jpg
    Rain Storm Back Deck.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Rain Storm1.jpg
    Rain Storm1.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Rain Storm2.jpg
    Rain Storm2.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Rain Storm starting.jpg
    Rain Storm starting.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Storm.jpg
    Storm.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 77
If hunters quit paying them to keep their problems in check this chit would change. Those willing to pay are affecting all hunting, it used to be when you respected others property, and took care of varmints even deer in crop country you were welcome year after year. But today those willing to pay, especially those thinking the more they pay the better hunter they will be, has ruined it for true hunters!

I have never paid to help control land owners problems, or to have anyone hold my hand, and 67 years young, that aint likely to change! Thank the new generation, this is their time, and how they do it!