Prairie doggin

gvjm

It is with great sadness that I'm losing my honey hole prairie dog shooting area! Between the drought and poisoning I now have to find a new area. This has happened to me before but by hitting gun stores and feed stores in the area I was able to find this one almost 6 years ago. With $5 a gallon gas I'm not apt to try this method again anytime soon. In Texas I'm not aware of any PD hunting areas anymore. My last area was in NM. I'm thinking of Oklahoma or Kansas. I'm not asking anyone to give up their favorite spot, I'd just like some guidance on finding a new area where I don't know anyone or how to start.
Thanks for any help!

OnX map layers show some prairie dog towns. It also can so land owners. Find those then zoom in on the satellite imagery and you will see their burrows. You won't be able to tell if the town currently has live dogs. It will save u time and $$ compared to just driving around

I live in SW Ks. There were a lot of dogs for years. However, most counties started poisoning programs and have pretty will wiped them out. We shot around Holly, Co. for years, but a 6 year drought, plaque and poisoning wiped them out. Attended a funeral there a few months ago, took a 60 mile drive around the areas we used to shoot. Never saw a dog. SO SAD!!!! Supposed to be some around Springfield, Co. and in the panhandle area of OK. Have not checked that out yet.

I live in SW Ks. There were a lot of dogs for years. However, most counties started poisoning programs and have pretty will wiped them out. We shot around Holly, Co. for years, but a 6 year drought, plaque and poisoning wiped them out. Attended a funeral there a few months ago, took a 60 mile drive around the areas we used to shoot. Never saw a dog. SO SAD!!!! Supposed to be some around Springfield, Co. and in the panhandle area of OK. Have not checked that out yet.
I understand your "so sad " comment as I like to shoot them little buggers also, but put your self in the land owner's position. If allowed they will completely take over and make the land totally useless for any kind of production. That doesn't help pay the bills very well.

As to landowners and land....why not set aside little areas to keep the critters from the extinction list......cause they aren't any different than whitetail deer.....different latitude..different color......different sub species......

I had to be REAL CAUTIOUS opening this thread....that title could mean something totally different.
We now all know how you hunt the pronghorn and open land mulies....

As to landowners and land....why not set aside little areas to keep the critters from the extinction list......cause they aren't any different than whitetail deer.....different latitude..different color......different sub species......

We now all know how you hunt the pronghorn and open land mulies....
They will not ever be extinct and there is no containing them to little areas. If you have a back yard you can put some there. Just say'in!!
And now I will shut up ,because of your other comment, I will not even go there with you on that. Most of the time we are the only ones that keep it honest out here because our wardens can't be everywhere at once. The big majority of the landowners around here are on a first name basis with our local wardens.

'Extinction/endangered' is the word that got the logging industry shutdown....
Setting aside useless acreage for the critters to populate and still be shot is not gonna hurt anything in today's vast agriculture lands.....

....and you seriously think wherever you are that 'your game wardens are the only ones on a "first name basis" with the landowners'........you sir are an idiot....

I grew up on land with lots of prairie dogs and the only way to contain them is poison or plague. If given the chance they will take a whole hayfield out. I still get to shoot them most years just depends on the plague situation.

'Extinction/endangered' is the word that got the logging industry shutdown....
Setting aside useless acreage for the critters to populate and still be shot is not gonna hurt anything in today's vast agriculture lands.....

....and you seriously think wherever you are that 'your game wardens are the only ones on a "first name basis" with the landowners'........you sir are an idiot
Why Thank you !!!

Don't look at S. Utah, the dogs here are an endangered species, the "Utah prairie dog" which can't be hunted, although certain entities, such as the local college, can eradicate them. SUU, the local institution of higher learning had a farm west of town, overrun by the varmints, not unusual to see a half dozen flattened on the road. Then one day, all gone! Not a one left. Bounty on coyotes, jackrabbits are free to hunt, but not those rodents. To that I am bitter, much!

Don't look at S. Utah, the dogs here are an endangered species, the "Utah prairie dog" which can't be hunted, although certain entities, such as the local college, can eradicate them. SUU, the local institution of higher learning had a farm west of town, overrun by the varmints, not unusual to see a half dozen flattened on the road. Then one day, all gone! Not a one left. Bounty on coyotes, jackrabbits are free to hunt, but not those rodents. To that I am bitter, much!
Yeah they screwed your guys over on that side of the state for sure. I am from the opposite corner and we can shoot them on private ground. I think on public to but there is a season.