Prairie Dog hunt 2020

backyardsniper

Looking to get a little info from some of you guys that either live in Pdog country or are regular pdog hunters. I'm looking to book a shoot for May of 2020. I live in west Ky and I'd like to try to keep the drive to around 12hrs if possible but not a deal breaker. Any suggestions on outfitters who offer prairie dog shooting as well as any other tips or info y'all have would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't pay above $300 for a guide for PD or sage rats. Having said that, if you look at some of the rates listed, their rates includes lodging and meals. So I may pay a little more if lodging and meals are included. This past April, I paid $275 a day for sage rats with Tim Titus at No Off Season. This was well worth the money. He may have gone up a little since my hunt with him.

We met at his place just outside of Burns OR. After a short meeting we were split up in groups and headed out to the fields. Around noon or so, we went back to the meeting place where a hot lunch was waiting for us. Short time later it was back to the fields and we shot until 5 pm. You could also do a half a day hunt.

One of the things I liked was we caravanned out to the fields. Some outfitters will have you load all your gear into one of their vehicles. This is not good. You always leave something behind that you need.

He has several trailers you can hunt from and each has a rotating bench. One of the trailers has the shooting platform about 7' off the ground. This is really good for looking scanning across the field. He also uses flatbed 5th wheel trailer with the same benches. You have a guide on the trailer that is spotting for you.

I doubt that I can make it in 2020 since I'm going to have a knee replacement in February. So this year I'll hunt PD with a guide.

Right now I live in the Houston Texas area so there's no sage rats anywhere near here. It's a 2 day drive to Burns OR from my house, but I'll do it again.

da50228dce2bb39e5bc92d22efe2c72f.jpg

Last edited:
$500!!!....a few years ago we would stay at a hotel in Valentine NE. While cleaning our guns on the tailgate in the parking lot, ranchers would come by and beg us to come shoot dogs on their ranch. Even offered to feed us! Then the Rosebud Indians saw dollar signs. Then you needed to buy a license and in future years you needed to hire a Native American guide, who had no idea where the good dog towns were and sat in the truck all day and ate our food and drink.....one the plague hit and poisoning was allowed again,the dog towns in the rosebud are not the same. And ranchers realized they can charge more for a week of PD shooting than they can get for a deer or elk hunt!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.