Prairie Dog Blite

Dskiper

On my recent hunt to Casper,Wy.I visited a ranch I hadn't been to since 2006.At that time it was crawling with pdogs!Well,what a shooting place!This year(oct.)the place was empty!No dogs at all!The rancher said they caught the "Plague".Killed them all through the valley.Has anyone witnessed this before?Will they repopulate?How long to return? Thanks ,Dskiper

I live in western Neb., and have lot's of dog town at my disposal. First of all, don't let the farmers and ranchers hear you ask when the dogs will come back! They're probably grateful that the town is gone.
Seriously though, I've seen towns wiped out by the plague and some will come back next year and some are barren for several years. It just depends on how complete the kill was, how dense the population of neighboring towns is and a few "mystery" factors I haven't figured out yet.
Your best bet is to find a new dog town in the mean time.

If you whee shooting the east of Casper what the plague has not taken out the land owners assoc has with their poisoning plan!!
The plague first hit the Powder river forks and the big town South of Glenrock a few years ago and the dogs are coming back. I've sean the plague take a town from great to nuthin over winter but usualy it will be back to shooting #s in a couple of years.

In wyoming they would rather pay to poisen the pd's than let you shoot them ,seems they can't stand thinking you are doing something fun and not paying them..

On the ranch I was on they stated shooters couldn't kill enough so they joined others(ranches)to have them poisoned ,$17000.00 worth!Did't work!So from 07to08 came the Plague, now no more pdogs.What a difference in the enviroment!Grasses were 1ft.high.Cattle got the best of it! Dskiper

The tall grass was due to more moisture than to a lack of prairie dogs!! Before they started poisoning it was getting tuff to see the furry little bastards but sure fun blowing them outa the grass:D

Hey MachV! I seeu reside by Mills.I heard there's a good game processor in Mills.I've used Pierce the last 3yrs.but thisseason a 160.00 to cut, freeze+ice is robbery 4 a antelope!Back east a deer(any cuts,ground,Vac-packed=75.00max..Also,I like Sportsmens Wharehouse&Rocky Mtn Discount on CY.I really think Casper is a great town.

$160 WOW I guess I'm in the wrong line of work!! I grew up on a farm with a lot of relatives that worked for Hormel so butchering has always been a good reason for a get-to-gether. Heck this year we started boneing them in the field instead of going back to get the dolly or dragging/carrying deer and goats out ;) All of the goats go into jerky and the smaller pieces of deer, chopps and roast get cut up in the garage and thrown in the freezer. Picked up a grinder the other day so we might blend some berger next year?
Trueth be known that why I like prairie dogs as much as I do.....Try to blow them as far and as many pieces as you can so the birds got something to nibble on. No worring how your gonna gettem back to the truck and have all the time in procesing :D

Last edited:
The plague wiped out a good dog town I had access to.
Over the winter months the town was totally gone. That spring, not a one was to be seen.
Hopefully they'll be busy making more:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.