prairie coyote gun

Browninglover1 said:
How about this hole?

Damage from a 185 Berger from a 300 WSM at 200 yards.

I haven't went and retrieved lastnights yote but I don't think the 168 grain berger out of my 300wsm at roughly 600 yards left that big of a hole..didn't go get it cause I didn't feel like crossin 5 fences and 3 ditches to go take a pic( 80 acre pasture that's sectioned for intensive grazing and the main ditches are in crp)

I haven't went and retrieved lastnights yote but I don't think the 168 grain berger out of my 300wsm at roughly 600 yards left that big of a hole..didn't go get it cause I didn't feel like crossin 5 fences and 3 ditches to go take a pic( 80 acre pasture that's sectioned for intensive grazing and the main ditches are in crp)

When you go pick him up you should get some pics :)

Browninglover1 said:
When you go pick him up you should get some pics :)

The two other yotes with him wouldn't come out where I could see em, I think the smoke in the wet grass have away my position...

My dad didn't believe I shot a coyote at 600 yards, he found blood(lots of blood) fur and a leg,along with a bunch of tracks and drag marks.. the other two must have been hungry...

I like the 243 its a good round for coyote and can double as a good deer,antalope rifle in a pinch. Ammo is for sale any place that sells ammo. I would shoot a good 95-100gr bullet and use it for both varmint and medium game, one load to learn and multiple uses, whats not to like.

25-06 would be my choice. I had read a lot of good stuff about the 25-06 and decided to give it a try. Wow! I've been shooting 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips and they put the thump on them right now. I had one coyote go through a short spin cycle (lower gut shot) but the others have been bang flop. The bullet doesn't seem to blow em up that bad. The 85 NBT would probably be even better but these are working just fine.

What ever you decide save the brass! You just might want to start reloading and get that little extra out of the rifle.

I started with 243 hunting rifle,then 25-06 Ruger mark 11 H.B. target rifle,3x9 Burris Ballistc Plx,now a Tikka Tactical 300 WM 4x16.The prairie here is a little rolley.Long range shots are common 440yds-800yds.Need a H.B. rifle with a good trigger.25-06 is to expensive to shoot with out reloading .The 243,270 are good picks for dogs and deer.gun)

I guess I'm a bit late here, but it's certainly nice to see a few more fellas from Saskatchewan (Go Riders) on LRH!

I've been using my .243 for a few years now and I love it, it's probably a better choice than the .22-250 simply because of the heavier bullets it can sling, I've never seen a coyote go more than about 15 feet after a .243 hit. True, the .25-06 will do pretty much anything that the .243 will, but it IS a long action so that can add to your reload time and generally decrease magazine capacity.

You won't be disappointed by a .243 with a 70 grain Nosler ballistic Tip, that's for sure....

coyotes, on the other hand, will be quite heartbroken.

I shoot a Ruger M77 Varmint/Target in .22-250 using stock 55 gr. Winchester Ballistic Silvertips--the gun loves them and it crumps dogs very well. It is a bit heavy if you intend to walk with it, but for stationary shooting it can't be beat IMO.

I whacked a marmot this past weekend in Montana at 440 yards that was on top of a 200 foot hill with a pretty good breaze blowing at the top--my buddy was stunned! My rest was the back end of my truck, but I do have a bipod on it.

Here in south-central Oklahoma we are typically in or near brush, so most shots are 100 yds. and closer. A lot of walking between sets, so I like lightweight handy rifles.

I prefer Hornady V-Max for safety reasons. Doesn't ruin the hides, but the highly frangible bullets will not shoot through and do not ricochet on misses. I am comfortable around livestock, houses, etc. 'yotes don't run either. The hydrostatic pressure from the small, frangible bullets at 4,000 fps or more is devastating!

250 yds. or closer - I shoot .32 gr. V-Max from a .204 Ruger in CZ 527 American.

Beyond 250 yds - I shoot .58 gr. V-Max from a .243 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight.

There's not a bad choice in any of those calibers. I shoot a m77 243 and can't say enough good about it. There are some really fast loads for 243 but personally I shoot a 100gr for everything, that way I get plenty of practice on the same load, don't have to re-zero, and the 100gr has worked great for me on coyotes and antelope (and I'm confident it would handle deer fine as well). Most shots on coyotes leave a 2-3" exit and they go down quick.

Hello everyone, i am looking for a new coyote gun! i will be shooting in a lot of open fields where it is windy a lot of the time. I do not handload. I want something with good range and accurcy. I have been looking at 243, 25-06, 22-250. What would you guys recommend for the above criteria. All advice is appreciated!

thanks

Got a nib model 700 VS SF ported 220swift for sale that might do the trick for ya! let me know will be posting it for sale soon. if you want pics ill send them to you

mrclean

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.