PPU 7mag brass sticking

Cookie114

I bought some new PPU brass (because it was all I could find) for my 7mag. I'm noticing some of these cases are wanting to stick in the chamber so I'm having to bump the bolt to get it free. It only does it on 50-60 percent of the rounds and not showing any excessive pressure such as hard bolt lift, ejec marks etc.. I'm curious if its just the sizing of the new Brass?

Trying to establish a baseline.
Did you run the new unfired brass through a sizer before reloading or just reload the new brass as you received it?

Just to clarify. You ran some of the brass through a sizer (full length?) and it still stuck?
Interesting.
Not pertinent but I have reloaded once fired (factory loaded) PPU brass and the only problem I had was that the PPU primer pockets are tight and I had to be careful when priming.

Measure the base of your brass before you shoot it at the .200 line and after.
My guess is the PPU is thicker there is your problem if your not sizing the base enough. Same principal as Alex talks about in the PRC die problem thread.
Or is it a RR rem action could be a primary extraction problem combo with base size.

Its a browning Abolt. But come to think of it my fl die is set up to just bump the shoulder .002 on brass fired in that chamber. So I guess I'm not truly giving it a FL size @epags L.Sherm

Bumping .002 at the shoulder is fine you need to take measurements at the .200 line Base.
Its .200 up from the bottom of the case.

Are you getting a " clicker" when you lift the bolt right at the very top of bolt lift.
If you were running top end loads in your other brass and you switch brass and used the same load could be your running more pressure and expanding the web at the .200 line.
Here's a good way to find out drop your charge by 1 grain and shoot a piece of brass 3 times if it doesn't stick then thats probably your problem.

If you run top end loads and your dies don't size enough from the beginning brass gets work hardened and has memory so you start experiencing clickers and sticky brass.

Are you getting a " clicker" when you lift the bolt right at the very top of bolt lift.
If you were running top end loads in your other brass and you switch brass and used the same load could be your running more pressure and expanding the web at the .200 line.
Here's a good way to find out drop your charge by 1 grain and shoot a piece of brass 3 times if it doesn't stick then thats probably your problem.
Yes I do get that clicker. Ive actually dropped 1 grain because the ppu was building pressure more than the RP. Ill check the .200 line. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.