Power Pro 4000-MR Powder

Think he meant how it acts in a cartridge rather then on a chart.
I posted the only chart I have now, and I recently got a couple of 1-pounders. O hands-on experience, but going to try it on my .30 Gibbs and 205 Berger. I agree that they act differently on other cartridges.

Alliant 4000MR.jpg

there is not much data out there. good luck in your gibbs it will be interesting to hear your results. I also noticed that it can be a little dirty until you get near max operating pressures

Just read through the latest 2020 reloading manual that Hodgon put out. WRT IMR4831 which I have lots of experience with. "....gives top velocity and performance with heavier bullets and medium-sized magnums." I've had poorer performance with this powder when compared to 7828 in a 6mmCM with a 90gr pill.

5C30670D-EB18-4A74-B103-851589282CD4.jpeg

This chart is more accurate for it's burn rate, it's definitely slower in my experience than 4831. I initially bought some for a 6slr I had but to shoot the high node (which is what this powder wants) it was too fast for the steel requirements (north of 3200 w/ a 105 hybrid) so I didn't use it. I recently picked up a 16" 6.5 SAUM and I've started using it for 123's. Jury still out if I'm going to like it or not...first two days out the velocity showed some potential temp instability but I will keep an eye on that before I completely form an opinion.

I agree with JuddL. His chart is more accurate imo. I have burned a couple of pounds of MR 4000 in my Savage 300WM but no longer use it. Burned very dirty for me. I was loading 165's, 168's and 175's. Got good accuracy iirc. It has been a while And I didn't retain my work up data... One item to note on the data from Alliant, the charge they list is considered a max charge, so back off at least 10% and work up

Its not listed on my copy of the western burn chart. I put it on the same line as 7828. Have used it in my 338 Lapua and 338 Edge. Only works for the lighter pills (225 gr) in those rifles.

It works very well with bullets up to 200 Grains. Not recommended for heavier bullets though. I also use it in my 257 WBY with great results.

We just tested some .300 Win Mag loads in my son's 300WM using Power Pro 4000-MR with Nosler 175 gr BTHP RDF bullets, starting at 70.0 gr up to 74.0 gr in 1 grain increments.
70.0 gr 2902 fps
71.0 gr 3014 fps
72.0 gr 3041 fps
73.0 gr 3067 fps
74.0 gr 3041 fps

Not sure why the 74.0 gr load dropped back to 72.0 gr load velocity, but there you go. The chrono numbers were pretty close to Nosler No. 7 numbers, as well as Hornady No. 8 numbers. Best 3 shot group was with 72.0 gr in his Savage.
They still have 269 lbs available at $19.99 per pound at

Here is my 2 cents on this powder. Was excited to give this a go. Saw that the powder was available and had to give it a try. Its easy to throw consistent charges either manually or automated; flows like liquid so to speak. Started an initial work up with this powder in 3006 stainless ABolt and 300 Wby MKV Accumark in .5 grain increments shooting Hornady 178 Bthp in both and additionally a 200ELDx in the Wby. Around a total of a box of bullets + 20 ELDx through both rifles.

It seems that the burn rate is near RL19 or between RL19/IMR4831 and RL22. It seems like a faster burning magnum powder to me and a fairly clean burning powder, certainly cleaner burning than the RL powders.

3 shot groups in my rifles were average, not exceptional nor was ES exceptional in both cartridges. Nothing really 'Wowed' me in the initial series. More resources would be required to verify if this powder could be a suitable replacement for hard to get (at this time) powders that are working in my rifles. May try 178 ELDm and 208 ELDm when i have time and can get a hold of 500 of them. Usually have good results with those 2 bullets. Right now i am getting tighter groups and more consistent ES with RL22 in the 300 Wby and H4350 in the 3006 with the BTHP (did have a 'wow' moment when working up with these 2 powders initially in the past).

Its not much info, but thats all i have...... Need more range time with this powder with different bullets to see if i can rely on it.

Has anyone tried this with the 300 WM? I'm new to reloading and am trying to decide on powders.
Thanks for any input
It really depends on bullet weight, type, and manufacturer. I tend to load based on the bullet manufacturer's test load as the baseline, i.e., Berger reloading published manual or technical support's recommendations.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts