powder

It will be too slow for that light bullet. I even found US869 to be a bit slow for the 210 gr bullets. Now if you want to shoot the 220s or 240s I would bet it would work very well.

I would try it to see how it works, I used it in a 300wby with 190gr bullets and in a 7-300wby with 168gr bullets and it was fine.
Drags

Drags,

It will work fine but you will see an increase in carbon fouling using this burn rate powder in that chambering with that weight of bullets. If you clean your bore often you will get fine results but if you do not you will get a serious carbon build up in your bore.

Also, you will not get the velocity potential the round is capable of simply because you can not get up to working pressures in most cases with these light bullets.

Again, it will certainly work and in most cases will be very accurate with very low ES in your velocity but fouling is much greater and top velocity potential will be reduced. Not that velocity is everything but if you can get it why not??

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
can anyone tell me if wc872 powder is compatable with a 300 ultra-mag, and if so a starting load for 180 accubonds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have used WC-872 in the 300 with Federal cases, 215 Federal primers and 180 grain AccuBond and 180 TXS my top load was 115 Grains and velocity topped out at 3376 FPS this is as much powdet as I could compress into the case. Also 112 grains with 200 grain AccuBond yielded over 3200 FPS ( I don't recall exactly)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.