Powder Tubes - Michaels Crafts

Muddyboots

Just a share if you are looking for right size screw top plastic tubes that do not tend to cause static electricity. I have been using these for 3-4 years to load up my BH209 pre-weighed loads for the range. They are 1.99 for 6 so not too bad to grab few packs. I have enough to load up 24 loads for range which is enough to play and practice. They are actually called "Glitter Mixing Tubes" which need to be static free for their use which makes them perfect for BP storage. I've re-weighed loads after they have been in tubes for at least 6 months and still weigh in the same on digital powder scale so I am satisfied they work for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1998.JPG
    IMG_1998.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 187
Thanks for this information. Was going nuts with the black powder tubes I got at Sportsman's. Even tried anti static spray which helped some. Still had to tap tube on funnel to get last kernels out of tube. Will get some at Michaels.

Do not recommend these for powder. FYI - Hobby Lobby has these clear tubes with black push tops BUT they are static like crazy. OK for sabot storage but lousy for BP substitutes etc. Look great but my experience was PITA to pour powder down barrel. Have to tap, beg, plead, swear to get it all out. Just a heads up so you know before hand on these. They are nice to store sabots ready to go to keep clean and neat in your possibles bag. The Michael's tubes are hard plastic so they seem to work much better. Its actually funny how much stuff I have gotten from these two stores for hunting and fishing.
Plastic Tube - NO
1580222230755.png

LOL...……… I seen both tubes today. The wife and I packed up and drove the 275 miles to TC and back.

The tubes from Michaels were in stock, with 13 packages hanging on the rack. There are none there now ;) I bought every package that they had. 78 tubes will be a start. I have a niece who passes another Michaels store on her way to work and they report that they have 11 packages. I'll have her pick those up and mail them to me :)

I'm checking how waterproof they are right now and will know in the morning. I put a few .177cal pellets in the bottom, then filled the remainder with some of the wife's cooking flour. It setting in the bottom of a glass full of water as I type. So far its been in the water for 4.5hrs and has not leaked.

The post about the tubes with the black tops I seen and didn't like them. I wanted something with a screw on top that seals out moisture.

Note: I was told by the lady at Michaels that you can order them in bulk directly from the main Michaels web page.

I use these after multiple uses some have a little static but nothing bad enough to bother me. Best price per unit I've found and I've been happy with them. They are pretty big though but I load large loads of blackhorn.

Bekith 200pc Plastic Centrifuge Tubes, 15ml, Conical Bottom, Graduated Marks, Blue Screw Cap, No-Leak https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N19RT9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rApmEb068PZ0K

Sometime after 4.5hrs and before 12hrs with the one tube I had completely submerged, there was some moisture that got into the tube.
I believe that for the price and for what these will be used for, they should work. Being completely submerged might be a little different than being in a shooting box or in a pocket while hunting.
The Lane's tubes I've used in the past do not leak and you can get them with many different colored caps.

Michaels tubes.JPG

Nothing like "product testing" to confirm! Thanks Encore! I agree the use will not likely be a problem at all plus the cost and availability is great.

Lies2hunt: Thx! I use to have these with red caps but only had 20 of them which would have been ok if I didn't leave them on bench at range one day all nicely secured in a sip lock for someone else to enjoy. Of course didn't realize until next day which by then someone else had already probably said "Thank You".

The Lane's tubes are what I've used for quite some time and they just work. These glitter mixing tubes are a very cheap alternative that very well could be used by someone on a tight budget. If they will stay dry for 4.5hrs of complete submersion in water, I'd say that will be fine for some.

So to be completely transparent, I performed the identical test with one of the Lane's tubes I've had for 6 years. After over 12hrs resting on the bottom of a glass full of water, it seals 100% PERFECT. Not a single trace of moisture and the flour was as dry as it was when put into the tube.

IMG_1849.JPG

All good suggestions for anyone to find a tube that will work for them. I like to pre-weigh for range which makes having these a great process to just go shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.