Powder Too Slow?

Kevin

Ok as some of you may remember I have a 338-300WSM handgun with a 15.5 in barrel. So last fall I quickly worked up a load that shot good - 63gr N-165 - 300SMK at 2100 fps. Now that I finally have some time I have been working to increase the velocity. Unfortunatly my chrony has been out of order untill today. So I had been increasing my loads by .2gr increments and am now at 65gr of N-165. But today when I got the chrony back working the loads were still at 2100fps. The only difference other than the powder charge is that the brass I have most recetly shot was reloaded once. So was there that much of a powder capacity increase from the reloaded cases, I only neck sized them. Or do you think that the powder is too slow and any additional powder is not getting burned anyway. Also do you think that I should be using magnum primers with this? I think I probably should be but for some reason I just haven't used them.

I would say your powder is to slow. I use Rl-15 in my 338 WSM with 225 gr bullets and get 2600 fps. My main load was using the 180 gr Ballistic Tip using Rl-15 which was good for 2950 fps.

Rl-15 would probably be to fast for the 300 gr SMK but it may well suprise you. Other then that I would look hard at powders such as H-380, H-414 or H-4350. These are all significantly quicker then 165 and should be a better match in the 338 bore with a 15" class barrel.

Kirby Allen(50)

50, Thanks for the info, thats pretty much what I thought. Also, what primers are you using?

If you use stick powders I would not use anything hotter then say a CCI-250 primer. Generally unless your hunting in very cold temps the standard Large Rifle primers work best with this round in my experience, no need for a real hot primer with 65 or so gr of powder.

I generally use CCI-200 in my WSM handguns, 6.5mm and 338 WSM.

Good luck, let us know how they shoot!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Ok I'll stick with the CCI-200's. Beautifull day today! I've got some H-4350 loaded up, so we'll see how that goes.

I have been working up loads for the past few days. H4350 is getting closer and closer to the preformance I desire. I started at 56gr-1960fps, and am now at 61gr-2174fps. I am not sure how much higher I can go. I still have plenty of case capacity but I think I detected a little stiffer bolt lift on my last shot (not sure though). The extreme spread is rather large which is a little dissapointing.

Also, sorry this topic did not end up in handloading section, not sure what I was thinking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

At times a magnum primer will help tighten up extreme spreads in a handgun length barrel. I genreally do not use them with this case capacity but will admit they can be used to tighten up extreme spreads. Around 2200 fps in a handgun length barrel may be all you will get. May want to try H-4831, Rl-19 or 22 but you may be there.

Kirby Allen(50)

I know its a little different, but in shooting my 300 RSAUMs, 22 and 26" barrels, I get better velocity with Varget in the shorty and H4350 in the longer barrel.

Maybe you caould try some Varget?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.