Powder Suggestions...30-338 Lapua

clark98ut

I'm putting together a 30-338 Lapua to shoot Bergers 230gr Hybrids. Quickload shows good velocity and load ratio with VV N570 & N560, Reloader 33, Norma MRP, Accurate Magpro, IMR 7828 and Hodgdon H1000.

Does anyone have any general comments or recommendations? I live in Central/South Texas, so heat can be an issue. Any of them more temp sensitive than the next? Consistent from lot to lot?

Thanks,

Dan

I made a wildcat called a 300xr which is a slightly improved, long neck 300 Norma Mag. I had excellent speed & accuracy using RL 50 for bullets 208 grs. & heavier. It worked so well that I didn't have a need or desire to try any other powders. I did buy some RL33 but never got around to using it. I used RL50 all year round in midstate Georgia & South Carolina. The temp. swings were from high 90's to low 40's. No problems.
Semper Fi

In the 338 case, I have found two powders that excel. MRP2 and H1000

Both are consistent lot to lot and not temp sensitive. Graf and Sons and Black Hills are the MRP2 distributors.

Those would be the first two I would test.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.