Powder Suggestion for 300 Ultra

banded

I just got a Abolt Heavy Barrel 300 Ultra and want to reload for it using the Berger 175 HVLD's. What would be your starting powder choice?

Thanks

H1000 would be my first choice and then Retumbo. In my 300RUM, Retumbo has not proven to be a velocity advantage over H1000. The Retumbo shows pressure on the case quicker than H1000 too. This is my rifle though.

My first two choices were H 1000 and Retumbo. So far I have only been playing with Retumbo and my rifle likes it, but if it didn't I would be playing with H1000

I have had very good experience with RL22 in in the 300 um. I did try VV n170 once, but the muzzle blast was wicked, and I mean WICKED. RL 22 is my usual go to powder in my 7RUM as well. The only thing about rl22 is that it is very temp sensitive, be careful when the temp rises. Good luck and good shooting. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts